Saturday, March 15, 2008

茶花


Camellias. Every time I hear the word, every time I see the bloom, memories of Bob Edwards reminiscing with Red Barber come flooding back to me.


Strange that a flower would do that, but Bob often inquired of Red whether his camelias were in bloom "down there in Florida." Then the mellifluous flow of analysis and nostaligia would begin.


Baseball has long been a love of mine. But the game always had more meaning -- more texture -- more class when Red was relaying stories about Mr. Rickey fighting segregation and Pete Rose finding redemption.


It has now been fourteen years since Red died. But I cannot see one of these hardy blooms )and they are everywhere this week) without remembering what Red added to every Friday of my life -- and still does.

2 comments:

Babs said...

Learn something new every day - I DID NOT know that camellias bloomed that far north! I so loved them when growing up in Louisiana........they were everywhere. I've tried here in San Miguel but the soil is not right and both bushes have not survived - darn.

Steve Cotton said...

They thrive here in the Willamette Valley. Even though imports all, azaleas, rhododenrons, and camellias are the backbone of western Oregon landscaping. My neighbor has camellias that easily exceed 20 feet in height.