Tuesday, April 14, 2009

odder ends

I can always tell when I am about to come to the end of project. All of the pieces are there, but they start looking like odds and ends.

That was my day on Monday: odds and ends.

Despite this pesky head cold, I got up early and did a few chores around the house. But I was soon on the road checking off some last-minute details.

After picking up my last bit of dry cleaning (severing a 20-year relationship with the owners), I stopped by the Salvation Army to drop off another load of clothes: shirts, sweaters, and trousers this time. I hope that they can be put to good use. After all, some of them have served me well for almost thirty years -- since law school.

My next task had two purposes. I needed to drive over to Monmouth to purchase Mexican insurance and to reduce my Oregon insurance to liability only. The drive gave me an opportunity to test drive my weekend project -- the carrier construction. It has increased the external wind noise, but it held up in the weather. No cracks. No loosened bolts. No unidentified flying objects. Chuck Yeager could not have been happier.

Nothing like successfully constructing something to top off the testosterone.

I stopped by the house to pick up some items for a lunch with former work colleagues. Just as I was heading out the door, I discovered
Cynthia and the amazing Sitka stopping by for a visit. We had a nice chat until I had to be on my way to lunch.

And a good lunch it was. The two lawyers, who I worked most closely with, wanted to take me to lunch to say a final good-bye. I really appreciated seeing them again. They were a true joy to work with over the years.

About half way through lunch, my vision started acting up on me. So, home I went to lie down -- and woke up 5 hours later. That may have been my body's way of saying that I needed some rest.

And I am glad that I took the nap. When I got up, I was able to arrange the first steps of my packing. I have a bit to do yet, but it is getting there. I will certainly be ready to go early on Wednesday morning.

The move is finally starting to seem like a reality to me.


Brenda said...

Getting closer to D day.

Steve Cotton said...

Indeed, it is. I am not certain when we will be through Guymas, but I will do my best to keep you informerd.

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear you are doing better and will be able to leave tomorrow. i look forward to reading your posts while you're on the road. you will be having such a great adventure! you sure you can't fit me in your rooftop carrier? i could be your interpreter ;-) nah, you'll do just fine. really glad your brother is going with you though. hope the prof is doing better.

take care and God bless. prayers are with you every day.


Brenda said...

Sounds good, have a great trip.
We don't have a phone for calls in so you will have to either email me (email address is on right hand side of blog) or leave a blog comment on my blog.
Hope to see you in awhile.

Steve Cotton said...

Teresa -- Thank you for the prayers. The cough is still bothersome. Due to a Nyquil dose, I missed a farewell ceremony that the Salvation Army advisory board planned for me this morning. And we now have snow in the pass. But the trip goes on.

Brenda -- I will email you when we get close to Guaymas.

norm said...

Eating lunch, vision acting up and being sleepy are problems I get with my sugar when it is out of wack. You maybe need to get your meds adjusted, I had to when I first had to deal with my Type 2. It takes as much as two years to get your system in the groove. This head cold is going on 3 weeks, sugar can act like a cold. Take care, norm

Anonymous said...

Here is something to try that works! Take Vics Vapor Rub and rub on the bottom of your feet. Then put your socks on. Do this before you head for bed. You will feel a warmth and you will not cough all night. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. My daughter tried it for a nagging cough and it worked. I also just heard Whoppi on The View say her daughter suggested she try it for her cold and cough and it worked. Let's see if it works for you. Let us know. :) Have a wonderful trip and drive safely. You and your brother will have a wonderful time together. We want to hear all the stories about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

You seem awfully calm for a guy
jumping off a cliff. That's gotta be a good sign.

Here's to brothers & road trips.


Nancy said...

Have a great trip, Steve. Take it slow and easy, we wish we hadn't raced for Mazatlan as quickly as we did!

Also, if you take it slow maybe we will be back in town when you pass through.

Don't forget that there is a lot of stress in a big move like this, your body can handle it in a lot of different ways.

We hope to see you soon!

Nancy & Paul

Hailey said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.



Anonymous said...

Senor Steve,
Have a great trip...I'm with you in spirit. Looking forward to your posts from the road to paradise.
Detroit, Mich.

Steve Cotton said...

Norm -- Thanks for the advice. It is certainly something to watch.

Anonymous -- Socks? In bed?

Charley -- I had good rehearsals with sky diving and bungee jumping.

Nancy -- It appears that the weather is forcing me to take my time. I will use today as a rest day. And we will take the rest of the trip slowly. Putting the carrier on the roof will require me to drive carefully.

Hailey -- Welcome aboard. Feel free to add more comments in the future. I am glad you are enjoying the saga.

Francisco -- As Calypso says: STAY TUNED. There will be much more -- I hope.