Friday, April 09, 2010

one small step

Three weeks after my surgery, I was back in Puerto Vallarta to have my sutures removed.


Lou and Wynn drove me up in their truck on Wednesday night.  Mine was still awaiting the arrival of its replacement window.


We had a good night in Puerto Vallarta.  Pleasant hotel room.  My first good steak in Mexico.  A relaxing night of reading.


In the morning, Lou drove me over to the hospital.  I forgot my book, so he was off to retrieve it from the truck.  The only reason I wanted it is that I am accustomed to waiting in American medical offices -- even if I have an appointment.  It took him maybe two minutes to do that.


When he returned, I was gone.  The doctor was at the reception desk when I arrived and took me into the emergency room where he removed my splint, examined my foot.  And SNIP SNIP SNIP my stitches were out.


Well, it was a little more painful than that.  But no worse than slight wasp stings as the sutures were removed.


My doctor's prognosis is that I should walk on crutches for the next five weeks, putting no weight on my right foot.  During the next four weeks, I can put some weight on the right foot, but walk with crutches.  Twelve weeks from surgery, I should be able to walk carefully on it.  The screws and pins will remain in my leg unless I want them removed in about a year.


I certainly hope that will be the case.  I have not had any serious pain in my ankle.  But when my doctor unwrapped the bandage around my foot, I could feel quite a bit of pain in the ankle.


But here is the best part.  For the examination, the suture removal, and the consultation, my bill was $130.34 (MX).  Just over $10 (US).


I am preparing myself for the larger bills when I get to Oregon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're on the mend. You'll have to look around for a proper sort of gentleman's cane when the crutches go, something that would be worthy of, say, a Lord Bothell.

ANM

Calypso said...

You are healing fast amigo - that is great. Expect some pain - can't be piecing together bones with screws and such without some pain along the way.

Steve Cotton said...

ANM -- For some reason, cane brings back public school memories. Perhaps, a walking stick. Naw. Too Robert Bly.

Calypso -- When my doctor removed the splint and rotated the ankle, there was pain. It is just waiting for me to do something stupid. And, count on it: that will happen.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are healing up.

But the treatment? It's so cheap you must feel at least a little sorry for the doctors that they aren't earning more, no? There's three people in that picture.

I'm sure the secretaries in the US are making more than those doctors.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where we get absolutely amazing treatment at Mass General, (supervised by professors at Harvard Medical School) and we're sure our insurance company pays amazing sums for it.

Steve Cotton said...

Kim -- As Felipe so often reminds me, thinking in terms of north of the border prices is very deceiving down here. This economy is far more like the economy I knew in the 50s in Oregon. I suspect the medical staff believes itself to be well-paid within that context.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I take your point, but in Mexico, internationally traded goods seem to be more expensive than in the USA. So there's a limit to how "relatively" prosperous you can feel, no? At some point the fact that you're earning a pittance has to sink in.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where even locally-produced goods are expensive

Steve Cotton said...

Kim -- You are correct. Imports are incredibly expensive down here. But there is almost always a satisfactory locally-produced product -- at least, at my level of consumption. I have noticed that most middle class families are beginning to enjoy the taste of prosperity. As they do, wage pressures will certainly increase -- just as they did in The States. And that will be good. Mexico will be far more stable when it widens its middle class base.