Tuesday, September 14, 2010

out of routine



In Mexico, I would start every morning with a bowl of cereal, a banana, and a steady diet of my favorite blogs.


While enjoying the morning sun in my garden, I would read up on what was going on in the various states of Mexico -- and add my comments to the conversations.  It was fun.  And as regular as the phases of the moon.


That memory got me to thinking about life here in Oregon.  Instead of reading the blogs at my leisure, I now feel rushed to get through them at the end of the day.  And I do not comment as much as I once did.


The primary cause is too obvious to even mention.  But I will.  Returning to work means my time is no longer my own.  I am selling it to my employer.  And I get a good bargain out of it.


And then there are the other demands on my time.  Because I am going to be here only for a limited amount of time, I have been booked for most evenings and weekends since I came north.


What was recreation in Mexico has almost turned into a task.  Like most tasks, it slips down my list of interests.  There is simply something about the rushed life style north of the border that turns joy into drudgery.  As if a mad alchemist had been turned loose amongst us.


But there will be a change in my work routine for the next week.  I am heading to southern California to experience Disneyland, Magic Mountain, and Warner Brothers Studios.  None of that lends itself to blog-reading.


But as my buddy Calypso says: STAY TUNED.

10 comments:

One Small Voz said...

I remember that NOB life - have no doubt a vacation is much needed. Enjoy. =)

GlorV1 said...

Well have fun out Disneyland way and you'll get back into the routine when you get back to Mexico Lindo. Take care and have fun.

Calypso said...

I am amazed at how little time there is when we are retired - still cannot figure how we got ANYTHING done when we were working. Pace yourself hombre - it will all be there when you are ready to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

You are complaining about the pace of North America and you are going to Disneyland, why?

A bit like taking meth to off-set the ill-effects of caffeine, don't you think?

Or perhaps, to use a Bushism,I'm under-exaggerating.

ANM

sparks_mex said...

Guess you get to retire again in November

Irene said...

Your life north of the border is only as rushed as you allow it to be.

Merida Mikey said...

Get back home here to Mexico and take a siesta! You deserve it!

Islagringo said...

Oh great. In a couple of days we are going to hear about you breaking something else now. Maybe you should just look at the rides???

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

I hope isla gringo is wrong... but I had the same thought. Be careful. Mr Toad's Wild Ride did not get the name for nothing. jaja.

Just think about how much the pace of Mexico will be a welcome change from the NOB lifestyle.

Steve Cotton said...

Leah -- The vacation may turn out to be more work than my job.

Gloria -- Mexico is drawing nearer and nearer.

Calypso -- I am looking forward to taking the retirement routine test -- soon.

ANM -- Wiser words may never have been spoken.

El Jubilado -- I wonder if retirement is experienced twice, is it twice as nice. Like New York, New York.

Irene -- And it is certainly rushed -- and rushing.

Merida Mikey -- A siesta sounds good -- right now.

Islagringo -- The only thing broken -- so far -- is my patience.

Rosas Clan -- Went on Mr. Toad last visit. It is hardly as exciting as a good zipline.