Thursday, February 24, 2011

sounding the cannons


I have spent the day trying to put together my thoughts on the Mexico City trip.  But to no avail.


On our second to last day in the city, I came down with a nasty case of what doctors euphemistically call "intestinal disorder."  Without going into detail (because Beth Smith and Nancy Miller will have a fit if I even hint at the D word), let's just say that it sounded as if I were auditioning as the specialty percussionist to perform the Overture of 1812 -- from both ends.


I have been able to keep food down the last two days, but it disappears just as fast.  That makes trying to concentrate on writing more than difficult.


More than once I have dreamed of having some mild illness that would keep me house-ridden.  I could then do as much writing and reading as my heart desired.


It has not turned out that way.  I am dehydrated enough at most times that focusing to read is even an issue.  My doctor has me on a series of pills.


To let you know just how bored I am getting, I put Star Wars: The Phantom Menace  (the 1999 release that heralded the decline of the Star Wars epic) on the DVD.  I needed to get some sleep, and I knew it would work.  Its script (written for fourth graders) put me to sleep in the theater -- and it worked again.  But this time I slept for 14 hours.


As soon as I am not losing all of liquids through the incorrect exit, I will be back.  And I hope that is soon.

6 comments:

teresa in lake stevens said...

oh you poor guy! i do hope you didn't catch a parasite! ever have problems with those? i did my first time in chacala and chris did when he joined me on my 2nd trip there. God willing you will soon be better regardless of what is ailing you.

nice to see i'm not the only one who falls asleep at movies (yes, the theater) it happened to me once while suffering through one of those jam packed action flicks which i would sometimes go to just to please my guys.

take care steve.

Kwallekno said...

I took my little ones to see the Phantom Menace, fell asleep within seconds of hitting the seat, have never managed to get through the whole thing. Hope your feeling better.

Al said...

The D word would have been more delicate than your Tchaikovsky reference. Made me laugh. I hope you recover soon.

Kim G said...

Still feeling punk? So sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where we narrowly escaped catching a cold from F's sister

LeslieLimon said...

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon!

I read in one of the comments that you're drinking Electrolit. I know they don't taste that great, but they do taste a little better when served cold.

Take care of yourself. Rest as much as you can. And drink plenty of fluids.

Keeping you in my prayers. :)

Dan in NC said...

Steve, just finished reading all the comments and commiserations above, and have to agree that catching ( or being caught?) by the TJ two-step is not pleasant in any country! I've had it a few times, but the worst was in a place famed for its vi vends - Brittany! LOVED the seafood - but it did not reciprocate the feelings. Get well soonest! By the way, I like the "map thingy" at the bottom ! Wonder who reads your blog in Wassilla, AK? Hmmmmmm? Could it be???!!!??
Cheers!
Dan in NC