Wednesday, April 20, 2011

lee smith -- my clever pal


This is a month for transitions. 


Another friend died this week.


I first met
Lee Smith (pictured above with his wife, Judy, celebrating their 58th wedding anniversary) in 1989 when we were both employed with the same company in Salem.  He had an innate ability to treat the most difficult situation with his trademark humor.  Often acerbic.  But always humorous.


During the five years we worked together, he was faced with what could kindly be referred to as uncaring managers.  The type of bosses that show up in situation comedies -- and we all chuckle how they could not exist in real life.


But they did.  And Lee characteristically laughed them off.  Until he decided that retirement was better than losing his sense of humor.


We had much more in common than our work.


We were both Air Force officers.  He joined the Air Force the year I was born.  But our shared status was far more important than our age differences.  Proving that age is not a restriction on friendship.


He could (and did) tell some of the funniest stories I have ever heard about the absurdities of military life.  And some of the best revolved around adventures his wife, Judy, and their daughters, Donna and Beth, faced as part of a military family.  (Beth, at one point, worked with me.)


When we all lived in Salem, I would often have holiday dinners with them at Beth’s home.  And, you will not be surprised to discover, the entertainment was usually provided through Lee’s sardonic story-telling. 


I thought I would lose some of that contact when I moved to Mexico.  But Lee turned into one of my most regular blog readers.  He always knew the details of my little adventure south of the border.  And could recount them – with his personalized twists – whenever I was in Oregon.


He devoted his life to his country and his family – participating in tumultuous events in our nation’s history. Always giving selflessly of his wisdom and his love.


We’re going to miss you, Lee.

20 comments:

Felipe Zapata said...

Sounds like he was a very sharp guy.

Beth said...

Thank you for your kind words Steve. I know dad always enjoyed your company as well. (A minor edit: photo is from their 58th anniversary last month.)

NW said...

I was not fortunate enough to know him but my wife says he was a very nice man and quite a character.

Steve Cotton said...

He was, indeed. And one of those fellows who did not fall into the trap of taking himself too seriously. We need more of his type.

Steve Cotton said...

You are most welcome.

Steve Cotton said...

A character -- and a man of character.

M Cotton said...

I am sorry to read of your loss of your friend Lee. Please send my sympathies to his wife and daughters.

Tancho said...

One of the down sides of getting to our age of wisdom is to see long time friends and relatives die.
Kind of leaves an empty place, but at least we can thank God for waking up to see another beautiful day.
May he rest in peace and we offer our thanks for his service to our country!

Steve Cotton said...

You just did.

Steve Cotton said...

And to be thankful fior each day we have.

brenda said...

Sad to lose good friends; but good memories last forever. May he rest in peace.

Glorv1 said...

So sorry about the loss of your friend Steve. One thing we all have is memories. Very nice tribute about a really nice sounding guy. Take care.

Steve Cotton said...

And with Lee, there is much to remember.

Steve Cotton said...

It is easy to write tributes about those who live life with purpose.

LeslieLimon said...

Steve, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Lee's family.

Steve Cotton said...

Much appreciated.

teresa freeburn said...

so very sorry to hear about your friend. it sounds like he lived a very interesting, happy and hopefully, healthy life.

teresa

Steve Cotton said...

Lee's was a life well lived.

Donna said...

Steve, This is the first time I was able to read your post about dad. You told a great story and I am grateful for your comments. His military funeral was hard, especially when the honor guard played Taps. But he is now regaling others with his stories and humors and waiting for all of us to gather around at some point. Thanks for being a good friend to Beth and our family. I read your posts avidly and enjoy all your experiences. Keep up the writing and sharing. Love, Donna

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Donna. It is my pleasure to have known him -- and to know his family. Roy and I were regaling one another yesterday with stories about him. Roy nailed it when he said: "Lee was a class act."