Saturday, April 16, 2011

one plate of mustard seeds at table five



This is the faith season.  At least, on Mexico blogs.


Several of my fellow bloggers have posted about spiritual matters.  I have been planning to do the same thing since January -- the Easter season seems like a good time to do it.


I enjoy much about Melaque.  But, my church here makes the area very special.


I started attending San Patricio by the Sea when I first visited the area as a tourist.  Since then, I attend religiously.  And, despite the old joke, that means more than twice a year.


My faith is far more important to me than the religion (the ritual practices) that surrounds it.  My experience has been that religion tends to get in the way of our relationship with God and with our love for our neighbors.


But I also find that my faith is strengthened when I worship with other disciples.  And that has been especially true here in Mexico.





San Patricio by the Sea is an odd faith vehicle -- suited perfectly to the community. 


It is a multi-denominational church drawing worshippers from various religious backgrounds.  Because the services are in English, most of the congegrants are expatriates or tourists -- lots of Canadians, a few Americans, and a sprinking of Mexicans, Australians, Englishmen, and South Africans.


In the winter, the attendance is regularly over 140 on each Sunday.  In the summer we dwindle to a handul -- often in the single digits.  But that is the rhythm of life in Melaque.


And because this is a church that believes strongly in sharing love with our neighbors, I have found many good friends through the church.  Lou and Wynn being prime on that list.


I started this post by saying I have been meaning to write it for some time.  But there is another reason to write it today.


The palapa at the church is no more.  When I drove by on Thursday afternoon, this is what I found.  Fire decided to have its way with the roof.




No one knows what happened -- only that the roof, the wooden contents, and the plastic chairs are no more.  Even the poor palm trees look the worse for wear.


And this is a photograph taken from about the same place as the interior shot posted above (second photograph).  That one was shot this January.  The one below on Friday afternoon.






The rubble is cleared away.  The church board has arranged to meet in the space that until recently was Maya -- one of my favorite restaurants. 


There will be new chairs.  And a reminder that God does not live in buildings.  Nor is a church a building.  A church is people.  Anywhere we worship, He will be there.


And it will be a good reminder to continue showing our love to our neighbors.

20 comments:

Felipe Zapata said...

Were I a Christian, Señor Cotton, I would want to be like you.

1st Mate said...

Steve, I'm so sorry to see your church burned down. Will the congregation will pass the hat and build a new palapa? I love the idea of holding meetings under a palapa. No stained glass, no pews. A good reminder of how ephemeral life is.

Nwexican said...

Great message. Perhaps we could plan a mission trip at my church to help build a new church?
I would love to come down and hang a palm.

Liz LaVia said...

Thank you Steve for those wonderful words, loved the heading. God always has a plan and He will provide. Liz

Steve Cotton said...

Fine praise, indeed.

Steve Cotton said...

We meet in rented space under a temporary roof. I have always found that to be a very comforting environment -- not symbols and rituals. Seeing faith with action. Or as Micah puts it in The Message translation: "But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, and don't take yourself too seriously -- take God seriously."

Babsofsanmiguel said...

That church was started by Dean and Nancy Underwood, the former Episcopal pastor of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in San Miguel. Nancy has passed on, but Dean continues to live a full life here. We'll have to make sure you meet him when you're here. He is one of the most delightful people I have ever met!

Steve Cotton said...

I am not certain what the plans will be. But I will keep everyone posted.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Liz. I rather liked the title myself.

Steve Cotton said...

I look forward to it.

Amiga said...

I would be careful. I just read an article where the cartels are kidnapping religious leaders because they feel there is money to be had. You do not have to post my comment, I am not trying to scare people from Mexico but warn you to be diligent and beware. My good friend and neighbor here in AZ was just abducted in Mexico 5 days ago. His wife's brother who lives about 20 miles south of the border was just murdered. He owns a Pemex. We suspect they want his gas station. This is why her husband was abducted. My friends are Mexican Americans. We are all just devastated. http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2011/04/evangelical-pastor-kidnapped-in.html
http://www.blogdelnarco.com/
I suggest you follow these blogs to feel the current climate. My husband and I love Mexico. We were just in PV for six months last year. Unfortunately, he works for the government again and they will not allow him to travel to Mexico at this time.

lauriematherne said...

Ohhh. I love the roof. Much better than the tin roofs here. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Steve Cotton said...

I will be careful. Kidnapping me would be a great disappointment for the kidnappers.

Steve Cotton said...

The board is trying to decide the next move.

lauriematherne said...

Steve, don't take it too lightly. Kidnappers took a poor pastor who is a friend of mine. Obviously they were novices who had the wrong guy. But they nearly killed him in their anger. And they let him see their face. We lived in suspense until the kidnappers were themselves murdered about a year ago.

Amiga said...

Actually they are kidnapping the pastors or their family members for ransom. But in the process others can be hurt.

Steve Cotton said...

I am not a cautious person by nature. But I try to use some street smarts. tHe problem is there is little that can be done to prevent things like this from happening.

Steve Cotton said...

And often under the false assumption that the church organizations have money.

Amiga said...

I think the palapa roofs are the way to go there. They let in the cool air but keep out the hot sun. Of course walls and A/C would be nice too. I'm spoiled that way.

Steve Cotton said...

I love palapas. For the reasons you state. Plus they look great. But no air conditioning for me. It almost does not exist here.