Sunday, April 17, 2011

snapping the sea


I am, at best, a hobbyist when it comes to photography.


No.  Even that label sounds too grand.


I am nothing more than a snapper.


A friend once told me I had a sculptor's eye for photography.  He didn't intend it to be a compliment.


But it is a fair rap.  I have very little knowledge of how my camera works -- or how to get the best out of it. 


And my choice of subjects is often -- to be kind -- touristy.  A bathetic Thomas Kinkade.


Now and then I run across something that simply strikes my fancy.  Like last week's pig.  I find joy in contrasts.


Late last week I drove up to the mirador in Melaque.  The high point at the west end of our beach.


There is a panoramic view of the bay and the sea.  For some reason, the contrasting combination of the ocean and the cactus on the cliffs that form the margin between land and water struck me as amusing.


Maybe the shapes.  The textures.  The foundational plant and the ever-changing tide.  I don't know exactly what it was.


But I decided to share them with you -- and let you draw your own conclusions.


From your snapper.

20 comments:

Dan in NC said...

OK Steve - just proved to myself that I need new glasses! My initial thought on the first picture was - How did he ever get those ducklings to sit on a freaking cactus! I meet with my optometrist on Tuesday! Love the overlook photo!
Dan in NC

Felipe Zapata said...

Yesterday's pig? Your sequencing is making me dizzy.

But I like the photos. But a bathetic Thomas Kinkade is precisely what has come to mind occasionally with your photos! Yes, just that.

Debi said...

I like your photos - photos don't have to be art! They are in blogs to compliment and exttend the story. And yours tend to do exactly that! Keep up the good work.
Debi

Tancho said...

Now if you could have a fraction of what Kinkade has amassed from his "style" of art, you would be one wealthy man.
I on the other hand prefer your photos any day!

Lhspirited said...

Nice photos.

1st Mate said...

I don't care if the overlook photo has a Sunset Magazine look about it, I love it anyway. It's a keeper. There's something very appealing about the desert/sea juxtaposition. I have grown fond of the desert, but I appreciate it a lot more when I know the sea's close by.

teresa freeburn said...

great shots steve. so nice to look at during our rainy, rainy day.

had lunch with cynthia yesterday. we had pulled pork barbecue and she remembered the picture of the pig grill you posted.

i can't believe this, the rain is turning to snow!!!! omg-it's april 17th. don't think it will stick but it looks pretty coming down. i still have my studded tires on my van so if it does accumulate, i won't have any problems driving.

ANM said...

Q. Why did the cactus cross the desert?

A. To get to the ocean.

Steve Cotton said...

No glasses needed. They can be what you want them to be. After all, this is art day.

Steve Cotton said...

Yeah. Events caught up with me before my editing did.

Steve Cotton said...

Ah, if I had the cash, I wouldn't have the art. The mantra of every unsuccessful artist.

Steve Cotton said...

And it keeps me out of mischief. Mostly.

Steve Cotton said...

As the Duke of Plaza-Toro would (and did) say: "It is at such moments as these that one feels how necessary it is to travel with a full band."

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Debi. For the compliment on the complements.

Steve Cotton said...

Nice compliment.

Steve Cotton said...

Snow? It is 84 this afternoon. I must confess a little snow would feel nice. But not here.

LeslieLimon said...

You don't give yourself enough credit! These are beautiful photos, as are most of the photographs on your blog. I especially love the first photo. It reminds me that it will soon be pitaya season. :)

Steve Cotton said...

Just around the corner.

Mic said...

I had exactly the same thought - ducks on a cactus - but then I'm due for a cataract surgery. LOL

Steve Cotton said...

There seems to be a theme here. I was up there this week. The "ducklings" are still there. Patient birds.