Tuesday, May 24, 2011

gambling on the future


For the past week, I have been in Nevada – my legal residence since January.


My friends and cruise buddies, Roy and Nancy, live in Reno and own a condominium at Lake Tahoe.  We have been splitting our time between the flat land and the mountains.


My initial reason for moving to Nevada was to leave Oregon’s ridiculously-high income tax behind.  After all, now that I live in Mexico, I am getting absolutely no services from Oregon.  It makes little sense to donate 11% of my income to Governor Kitzhaber.  I can find charities far more worthy.


Instead, I have traded the conifer green of the Willamette Valley for the silver gray of the Washoe hills.


Reno has a subtle beauty.  Especially, in the late spring.  The sage and desert flowers create waves of color that Monet would love.



If Reno’s beauty is low key, Lake Tahoe’s is smack dab in your face.  Nancy calls it “the most beautiful place in America.”  She may be correct.


The combination of the mountains surrounding this mile-high lake is hard to beat.  Like most large lakes, Tahoe has its moods.  Dependent upon the sun and the wind.  The blue hues run from the color wheel.



The highlight of this visit was a trip to Emerald Bay on the west shore.  I will let the photographs carry the tale.  But only after I tell you a tale that sums up why Roy and Nancy are such good friends.


On Sunday we drove from the condominium over to Emerald Bay on the type of road that pays more homage to scenery than to safety.  But the risk was worth it.  Glaciers have gouged out an inlet that is unique on the lake.


I started shooting away with my camera. After two shots, the camera warned me it did not have storage space.  I knew immediately what I had done.  I left the storage chip in my computer – at the condominium. 


I was prepared to merely enjoy the experience without my camera.  But Roy and Nancy offered to drive all the way back to the condominium to get my storage card.  I was touched.


So, off we went.  On the way, we decided to stop at an office supply store.  I was able to buy a replacement chip – and back we went over the risky road.


I will leave it to you to determine if the drive was worth it.

For me, it was.  In friendship – if nothing else.








12 comments:

Felipe Zapata said...

Why do you have to have any "legal residence" address in the U.S.? I don't.

Steve Cotton said...

Big income tax states like Oregon assume their citizens, who leave the country, will return to their "home state" -- and thus are subject to the state's income tax requirements.  As a federation, Americans are assumed to have citizenship in one state or another.

1st Mate said...

Nancy may be right, about how beautiful it is. Have you seen it in snow? Breathtaking! Some of my happiest adventures were ski trips to Tahoe. If you have to have a place in the States, I couldn't think of a better one. 

Steve Cotton said...

It is certainly a beautiful place.  And I will visit more often in future.

tancho said...

 Gorgeous photos the area is so beautiful, glad you got a new memory card!

Steve Cotton said...

I am glad I took the time out to spend a few days at the lake.  It is certainly more attractive than my little laguna.

tancho said...

And there are no alligators in the water!

Steve Cotton said...

Well, that is one draw back.  My croc is great.

NWexican said...

I lived in Incline Village on the north shore of Lake Tahoe in the 80's, beautiful place. I have longed to go back many times. Welcome back...

blog said...

Also my 'home' state in the U.S. for the last six years - no tax works for us - Anita's sister lives there and  handles our mail - we also own 1/5th of a house there (don't ask). Welcome to the Silver State!

Steve Cotton said...

If I could afford to live there, Incline Village would be a great place to spend a chapter of my life.

Steve Cotton said...

Ah, the plight of the tax refugees.  I am debating whether I am going to register to vote.