Sunday, June 05, 2011

buying my soul at wholesale


I had all sorts of plans for my drive back to Melaque from Puerto Vallarta on Saturday.


Stops at little beaches.  Lunch in a new restaurant.  And some ham-enriched beans when I returned home.


Nice dreams.  Maybe one day they will.  But that day was not Saturday.


One of the joys of Puerto Vallarta is Costco.  I am not certain why I get so excited about the prospect of shopping at a big American-oriented warehouse.  I almost never find find what I would like to buy.  But isn’t that true of a lot of our lives?


This trip my list was short.  I needed a new backup drive for my computer.  My current backup is almost full.  I need to transfer my photograph files to the current backup because my C drive is almost full, as well.  Two birds.  One drive.


I found exactly what I needed.  A 3 terabyte backup.


But I may be in the market for a new computer.  The wireless adapter in my lap top is not working.  That was the first symptom of my last computer as it began its death spiral.


I may need to break out the black crepe.


The other item on my shopping list was a hunk of ham.  I want to add chunks of pork butt to my home-cooked beans.


And it should be an easy request to fill.  Or so I thought.  Not even Costco had whole hams.  All kinds of sliced ham.  Even ham steaks.


Then I saw it.  A foil-wrapped ham – with its bone.  I grabbed it as if it was the Holy Grail – until I read the package.  Spiral cut.  Merely a variation on a theme.


For now, I am laying down my ham quest.  Sliced ham will have to do – while I serve death watch on my lap top.

No comments: