Thursday, June 09, 2011

dropping the giant


There are days when everything is practically perfect – including me.


Then there are days like today.


Our nights have been getting warmer and more humid as the summer sets in.  That makes sleeping a bit challenging – especially for an aging former Oregonian who considers the proper sleeping weather to be about 50 (degrees, not years).


For whatever reason, I could not sleep past 5 this morning.  So, I got up and started my day.  Just as I was getting my morning reading done, I felt tired.  Real tired.


When you are retired, there are no voices that nag if you fall asleep you are going to waste the best part of the day.  Frankly, I think sleeping is a grand way to properly spend that currency.  And I did.  For five more hours.


That did not seem to be a bad start for the day.  But my computer did not agree.  I have my entire computer support system (you do not want to know how many wires that is) plugged into a very small gauge extension cord.  Well, let’s say, I had it plugged into that extension cord.


When I originally sat up the system in its current location, I knew the cord could not handle the electrical load.  It was temporary.  And it has remained that way for eight months.  Until today.


I was talking with a friend on Skype and knew something was not right.  Just as my voice faded on his end, I saw what was wrong.  Wisps of smoke and sparks were coming from the extension connection.  I caught it just in time before the rest of the system was affected.


I drove around town looking for a thicker extension cord.  None are to be  found.  At the moment, I have everything in another “temporary” set-up.


While I was drafting a series of blogs (on an entirely different topic), I heard my front gate bell.  It was my neighbor – the owner of La Rana.  I invited him in.  But it was obvious he was not there to bring tidings of great joy.


To cut to the point – I lost another window in the truck while it was parked on the street.  This time, the rather complicated rear window.


But the culprits were not thieves.  It was a little boy with a rock.  A David who mistook my Escape for Goliath.


All of the neighbors were there fully expecting, I suspect, to see an angry truck owner.  The boy was in tears.  (Having been a boy, I know that penitence is the best defense -- and tears are worth, at least, an additional 10 points.)


I looked at the window and told his mother I would get it replaced.  She wants me to hold her son responsible.  The scene ended in him hugging me.


The cost is far more than an 8-year old can absorb.  And, for me, it is simply foregoing – well, probably nothing.  It will be repaired, and just like the other repaired window, I will give it no further thought.


But I will talk with the boy when the window is repaired.  I am going to forgive him, but I want him to learn that kindness needs to now move beyond me to him.  It will be his duty to share the same grace with those he encounters.


So, it was not a bad day, after all.

22 comments:

Mcotton said...

What wonderful act of kindness and a lesson to pass the kindness on.

I remember when a neighbor boy broke a picture window of ours.  His folks made him come and tell me when I got home from work.  He was very scared.  I told him not to worry about it, that I had raised boys and understood.  Was he ever relieved.  

Felipe Zapata said...

Leaving your car on the street long-term in Mexico is highly inadvisable, amigo.

Mexican Trailrunner said...

Awww, that's a good story.  That little boy got a nice life-lesson from you and he'll always remember you.

sparks said...

This may mean duct taped plastic for a month you know

tancho said...

I hope he doesn't grow up thinking that every time he does something unacceptable a compassionate old man will forgive his actions.....

NWexican said...

I once put a curve ball through my neighbors front window and she was really graceful also. I will always remember her for that. I did have to do a little weeding in her vege garden but she gave me about 100 cherry tomatoes to give to my mom. Sweet huh? On another note, I would have assumed (ouch I know) that the plate on your rig would be mexican by now?

Steve Cotton said...

I guess I was just passing on what had been modeled for me.

Steve Cotton said...

I hope that is true.  Either way, it would have done me no good to rant and rail.

Steve Cotton said...

The last time my car was broken into, it was a mere matter of days before it was repaired.  But we do have that storm on the way --

Steve Cotton said...

But wouldn't the world be a better place if we could learn from our mistakes through acts of kindness?

Steve Cotton said...

I am considering turning the Shiftless Escape into a home-town truck.  I doubt it will ever make it back across the border.

Steve Cotton said...

I put it away every night.  Yesterday, I left it out for no more than 30 minutes when disaster struck.  (I had been shopping around for a thick extension cord -- to no avail.)  It could have as easily happened while parked in the village.

NWexican said...

Hmmm, and Jesus would be how old now?
"compassionate old man"  :)

Steve Cotton said...

My point, indeed.

tancho said...

Absolutely, it would be a better place, but some people don't learn....

Steve Cotton said...

Do we ever?

LeslieLimon said...

The world needs more people like you!  

Steve Cotton said...

Now that is one of the more frightening ideas that has come my way lately.  But, thank you.

Paty said...

When I recently looked into trading my OR plates for Mexican, the price was about $1400US for the paperwork and double the yearly auto insurance to $700-800US.  My wallet decided the issue.

Merida Mikey said...

I salute you! 

 I hope that young man learned a valuable life lesson from a very astute teacher.  I wonder what I would have done in a similar situation.  Now that I've read your blog, I can honestly answer my question by remembring your blog, and following suit!  Thank you.  You not only taught that young man, you taught me as well.

Steve Cotton said...

Then, I guess my work here is done.

Steve Cotton said...

But getting Jalisco plates will make my life a bit easier.  I will probably do it.