Thursday, December 15, 2011

all-weather friends


This morning the weather shifted.


That sentence sounds as if it came out of one of those screenwriter worshops. 


You know the type.  Where the celebrated writer with one credit to his name doles out helpful advice like Geoffrey Rush on valium.


Choose a block of the human condition.  Stuff it into a metaphor vehicle.  Reduce everything to a recognizable cliché.  And sprinkle with symbols.


Because we all know when a writer talks about weather shifting, there is a subtext just rollin’ along like Ol’ Man River.


But let’s pretend that subtext is for The New Yorker and I am simply talking about the weather.  Because the weather has shifted.


During the past two weeks I have been in Oregon, the weather has been extremely pleasant.  Blue skies.  And temperatures brisk and crisp – right on the cusp of needing a coat and gloves.


The type of weather that could seduce the naïve argonaut into believing that this is what late fall in Oregon is all about.  It isn’t.  This is October Portland weather.  Mid-December is short days filled with drizzle, gray skies, and 50 degree temperatures.  Some of my favorite days.


And that is what this morning brought.  A bit of rain.  A lot of gray.  And the feeling Christmas is on its way.


Those nice days have made me feel a bit like an alien.  I guess I am.  I have thoroughly enjoyed living in Mexico.


During the past two weeks, I have dined with family, a friend from my old work, two former prosecutors, an ex-girlfriend and current good friend, my local Salvation Army board, and a close friend and his extended family.  Each get-together has reminded me how much I enjoy this network that has taken six decades to weave.  And just how much the people around me mean to my life.


But that is where the climax of this little screenplay arises.  Would these visits be so special if I was surrounded by them every day?  If every moment was of moment, would I ever know I had one?  Or are they special because I am take them in annual doses?


I don’t know.  And I don’t care.  I am simply going to enjoy my time here as long as it lasts.  Living each moment as it arises.


Let the symbols speak for themselves. 

21 comments:

loulou bateau said...

Sometimes you just have to realize that you like your life.

Lauriematherne said...

The power of friendship cannot be underestimated. Enjoy. 

Tafreeburn said...

time with friends and family is always special, whether it's every day or once a year. of course when it's only once a year we seem to appreciate more.

cuidate amigo,

teresa

Cdubee said...

See Maslow, "Hierarchy of Needs"

Steve Cotton said...

True indeed.

Steve Cotton said...

Another factor to consider in deciding where I will live.

Steve Cotton said...

My needs are few.  Other than a good audience.

Cdubee said...

Thus the Blog; but sometimes, I'm guessing you miss having a live audience. Personally, for example, I dislike the telephone because I can't see the facial expressions of my "audience" as I talk to them.

Steve Cotton said...

I agree. I have always disliked the telephone -- I feel as if I am missing 90% of what is being communicated.

Felipe Zapata said...

Five days with nothing. Something weird happening in the Cotton Field.

Steve Cotton said...

Simply enjoying myself.

Irene said...

Going off the grid for the holidays.  Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas.

Steve Cotton said...

And to you as well.  I understand being off the grid.

Glorv1 said...

Just enjoy life Steve and stay happy. Merry Christmas to you and Happy New Year as well. Take care.

Steve Cotton said...

Merry Christmas to you, as well, Gloria.

Kwallelno said...

Merry Christmas, hope you have a good one.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks. Merry Christmas to you, as well.

Penny said...

Merry Xmas Steve, from here in Blighty.  I too am missing your posts but it's good to know you're having a good time.  Keep it up!

ANM said...

Merry Christmas, Mrs. Kalabash, wherever you are.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Penny.  I should be up and running before too long.

Steve Cotton said...

Just up the road, sir.