Wednesday, December 28, 2011

checking it twice


I had a number of items on my checklist to accomplish on this trip north. 


One is in a hold pattern -- and likely not to develop as I had hoped.  But I have successfully accomplished two of them.  And a third will soon be done.


My visa for the trip to Red China arrived just before Christmas.  Resplendent with its red star of approval.  I have stared at it to remove all thoughts of political prisoners from my not-too-translucent political meter.  There is no need for me to play Winston Smith at this stage of my life.


I also received two books a doctor friend in Mexico requested me to buy.  Elisabeth Kübler-Ross’s On Death and Dying and On Grief and Grieving.  He found it difficult to find both books in Mexico.  Now, I just need to find a good way to get them to his office in Leon.  Maybe a road trip when I return to Mexico.


The third task is dependent on my brother’s return from Virginia the first week in January.  We have been talking about a new laptop for my trip to China.  I have eliminated the possibility of a tablet.  It simply will not work as a blog tool -- for me.  But a Z series Sony Vaio (yes, the same model that died an untimely death in 2009 when I lived on the beach) may be practically perfect in every way.


And with that purchase, I should be ready to head down to Mexico for my trip to Copper Canyon.

6 comments:

Buzzardwest said...

Don´t forget winter clothing for Copper Canyon.

Steve Cotton said...

I am bringing sweaters for China. They should prove helpful for Copper Canyon.

Felipe Zapata said...

Tell your friend in Leon that all he needs to do for books is order them from Amazon, and they will be mailed to him. Piece of cake. Costs a little more due to shipping, but not that much more, and if you get the book used, it's even cheaper. I do it all the time, or I did do it all the time before I bought my Kindle.

Amazon will express mail a Kindle to him too. Another piece of cake.

Charles said...

Steve...have you checked out the Macbook?  They are great...

Steve Cotton said...

My impression is that he is no very computer-savvy.  And I am happy to provide the service.

Steve Cotton said...

I looked at the Air, but I am not ready to make the Apple jump.