Wednesday, March 14, 2012

trapping the mouse

One of the little death items I wrote about yesterday was my Bluetooth mouse.

When I returned from The States with my new light laptop, there was one thing I really needed.  A small mouse.

The Sony Z series is extremely well-engineered.  With one exception.  The mouse pad.  It has one of those infernal touch pads.  I know it is not just me because I  have talked to other people with the same complaint.

Somehow the touch pad makes gibberish out of my drafts.  All of a sudden a line that should be at the bottom of a piece has migrated into the second paragraph.

The solution was simple.  A small wireless mouse.  Small because I need to use it while traveling or doing my walk about.  Wireless because I do not need another cord getting in my way.

But that was the problem.  My laptop has only two USB ports.  So, a Bluetooth device would be perfect.

And that is what I found when I went to Office Depot in Manzanillo in late January.  With the seemingly-appropriate brand name of Perfect Choice.

I used it on the Copper Canyon Trip.  In Melaque.  In China.  In San Francisco.  In Salem.  In Bend.

Nary a problem.  Even though I had my misgivings.

When I bought the mouse, it had been opened and re-taped.  In Mexico, that usually means it was returned.  But it was the last one on the rack.  And I wanted it then.

When I took off the tape, the right button was stuck down.  Great, I thought.  But it popped back up.

And, as I said, it worked perfectly.  Until the electronic plagues hit me.  All of a sudden, the left mouse button simply had no click.  I tried everything.  Nada.

So, I off I went to Manzanillo with the dead mouse.  And that is exactly how the clerks and manager at Office Depot handled it.  As if it were a dead rodent. 

I showed the manager the package on his display that clearly stated the device was warrantied for two years.  He shrugged.  I felt as if I had stepped into the Monte Python dead parrot skit.

But I was not going to be saluted off so easily.  I told him I had bought it less than two months before.  That was not two years.

He then fell back on his bureaucratic Maginot Line.  "Where is your receipt?"  Said he.  "Where is the packaging?"

I may be a bit anal, but I do not keep receipts and packaging.  He merely smiled and said there was nothing he could do without them.

So, I bought another Perfect Choice Bluetooth mouse.  Just like the other one.  Except it is still working.

And I have kept the receipt and the packaging.  Now stored in an Office Depot bag along with the dead mouse.

I suspect I may have need of the whole thing.  Say, in a week or two.

26 comments:

sparks said...

Get a USB hub for the laptop .... not large or expensive

John Calypso said...

Sometimes you just have to make circumstances fit the requirement - just top keep those people honest. Smart move.

nwexican said...

I agree with sparks.. Personally I avoid bluetooth at all cost, with the exception of cell phones and ipad.

Debi in merida said...

Now here is what you do my friend - you take that dead mouse, stick it in all that new packaging, along with your new receipt and take it all right back down to that Office Depot!  You look that Manager in the eye and tell him your story all over again, but modify your timeline to fit the current state of your receipts!
No Harm, No Foul!

Felipe Zapata said...

In this country, amigo, you need to keep ALL receipts. Stores will rarely take your word for anything.

Mexican Trailrunner said...

Yep, what Felipe says.  Not only do you need to keep all receipts but all paid bills as well.  For how long?  As long as you live.  
I'm with Debi, pack it all back up and return it in the new packaging.  

Tancho said...

I have 2nds of stuff sometimes because of the exact same thing. Although instead of giving your money back they only replace it. At least I have a spare then to either gift or keep......
Now I know what the line jumping issue is with my Vaio Z, never figured it out..thanks for that!

mcmaas said...

Definitely keep receipts!  And make sure that the receipt for anything under warranty is stamped by the store.  Also, many stores will only provide 30 days of in-store return -- after that, you will need to deal with the manufacturer.  Make sure that you've asked about that, if you are concerned about the product (like your mouse).  And do let us know the outcome of your switch/return attempt!  If you go for it....

Steve Cotton said...

 I have one.  But I use the Sony as my walk-about computer.  And I wanted to keep the accessories pack as light as possible.  In addition, a couple of my accessories will not work with a hub.

Steve Cotton said...

 And to keep myself honest.  After all, all I will be doing is returning a broken mouse with the appropriate documentation.

Steve Cotton said...

 Exactly the sentiment of my last sentence.  Probably on the next trip to Manzanillo -- to renew my FM3.

Steve Cotton said...

 A lesson I have learned.  Even in The States, I would have been sent to the customer service desk at Office Depot for the clerk to print off a new receipt before I could get any service.

Steve Cotton said...

 On my way.

Steve Cotton said...

The Bluetooth function works great on the mouse. It was the left key that broke. But I may have to be a bit more flexible. The options are limited.

Steve Cotton said...

A spare will be fine. And that is what I am expecting.

Steve Cotton said...

I am going to need to set up another file system just to keep receipts, I guess. And you can bet I will keep everyone posted. After all, this is another blog opportunity.

Irene said...

I enjoy all of your travelogues but my favorite posts are always those you write about day to day life in Melaque.  And be sure to keep your receipts! 

Andean said...

Your writings are worthy to say the least! 
Melaque, always an interesting venture...

Babsofsanmiguel said...

Two things - Did you think to change the battery?  Mine went dead. I popped out the battery and its working fine now.
And, read Rancho Santa Clara about Stew's experiences......FUNNY and true!

Steve Cotton said...

 Thank you.

Steve Cotton said...

And, for me, these little dialogues are my favorite part of the experience.

Steve Cotton said...

It was the first thing I checked. Even though it was obvious the left button no longer clicked while the right button did. This mouse was just ready to go.

I read the bee story. Al does a great job of telling a tale.

Stewnal said...

You need to talk to Stew about the proper way to keep receipts--and deal with customer service folk in Mexico. 
al

Steve Cotton said...

 I dread the thought of starting to retain trash.  I just got over 60 years of sorting everything in alphabetical or numerical order.  Here I go again.

Karen McKown-Arano said...

I have done this several times in the past although it usually has caught up with me as I find the second and third and so on don't usually last me any longer than the first did. Sometimes I think the warranty is there just so I have to buy the second to replace the paperwork.

Steve Cotton said...

There is that.