Wednesday, August 01, 2012

feeling presidential

I am on my way to Bend on the shuttle bus.

It is a convenient way to get across the Cascades.  Especially, because I no longer have a car in Oregon.

Sitting in the bus gives me time to do things -- other than concentrating on driving.  For some reason, I started thinking about doing the yard chores around the house during the past two days in Salem.

It certainly cut into my socializing time.  But I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There is something about taking on Mother Nature with your bare hands -- and a few handy tools.

I am not certain what need it meets.  But I always enjoyed spending time in the yard tidying up when I lived in the Salem house.

I definitely do not qualify for either anal retentive or obsessive compulsive awards.  Professor Jiggs cured me of those tendencies.  There is something about a giant shedding golden retriever that puts you face to face with the absurdities of home hygiene.

Maybe yard work is a substitute for battle.  I am well past the age of strapping on an airplane and meeting the enemy in noble combat.  Tearing into the Boston Ivy is a substitute for downing Soviet fighters.

Whatever it is, I felt downright presidential while clearing the brush on what passes for a ranch in the prissy city limits of Salem.

It almost made up for the lunches and dinners I should have been sharing with friends.

6 comments:

John Calypso said...

Yard work is good for the soul!

Shannon Casey said...

I agree that pets keep the OCD at bay. Do 3 cats equal a golden retriever?

Steve Cotton said...

That may be it.  To ask the question is to Zen an answer.

Steve Cotton said...

Well, Professor Jiggs thought three cats were a sufficient appetizer for dinner.

Buzzardwest said...

"Maybe yard work is a substitute for battle.  I am well past the age of strapping on an airplane and meeting the enemy in noble combat.  Tearing into the Boston Ivy is a substitute for downing Soviet fighters."

Welcome to the world of Second Hand Lions.

Steve Cotton said...

 Clearing brush and managing trees is our lot these days.