Saturday, January 05, 2013

evil under the disc

J.K. Rowling has an eye for names.

When she is not lifting characters whole cloth from Tolkien, she can create some interesting pun names.  Draco Malfoy, for instance.

The bully of the wizard school carries a family name echoing its obvious Norman past.  Mal foi.  Bad faith.

It appears my blog may be a cousin to dear old Draco.  But the family name is malware.

A reader contacted me this morning to let me know that she gets a momentary malware warning when she opens my site.  "May contain malicious content."

Now, I may get testy now and then.  But "malicious" is not how I would describe my usual prose.

I believe I have cornered the offending link -- and it does not present a problem to readers.  However, please let me know if you receive a similar warning.

You can contact me with the email address at the right by clicking my photograph.  The address is under "Contact me."

I would hate to think the name Cotton will join the Tolkien-Rowling pantheon of evil.


6 comments:

Shannon Casey said...

Lately your blog would freeze my computer temporarily as well. Today it didn't!

Andean said...

Better here also--hoping it sticks.

Steve Cotton said...

I had updated to a new version of Disqus. Proving that new is not necessarily better.

Steve Cotton said...

Me too. I like the comments.

Christopher Lord said...

Now, if the warning had been "May contain malcontented or curmudgeonly musings," then it would have been a public service, right? For the record, I have encountered no troubles.

Steve Cotton said...

And I always thought I was the jester. Or was that the pilot?