Friday, February 27, 2015

the marilyn munro cotton show


She plays the role of matriarch in our family situation comedy.

But none of the television moms even come close to matching my mother's strengths.


To flesh out that claim, I started to list some of the television moms we have come to love over the decades.  It would have been like shooting metaphorical fish in a simile barrel.

The reason is easy.  They all lack the most important quality my mother possesses.  She is real; they are not.

Today is her birthday.  Number 87.  She has no trouble with me sharing that number.  Unlike some people, her cup of self-confidence overflows.  Age is something to wear with pride, not to be feared.

I have missed most of her past six birthdays because I have been in Mexico, and she has been elsewhere.

This year was different.  I took her out for a birthday dinner the night before I left.  It was a nice change of pace to be able to spend the day with her.

But, with her presence, I can be thousands of miles away and still enjoy her company.

Happy birthday, Mom.  I have enjoyed the ride with you.

 

No comments: