Wednesday, September 26, 2018

imagine bumping into you here


Some blog topics stir the blood.

There are two classic Untouchables (religion and politics). Both of which occasionally put in cameo appearances on Mexpatriate. But, not today.

Oddly, traffic seems to be a topic on reader's radar. At least, over on Facebook.

I post links to my periodic postings on my Facebook page and two other Mexico groups I belong to. While Disqus was acting up, my comments dropped precipitously here. But, on Facebook, they have soared. Especially, on the topic of our first traffic signal in San Patricio (you light up my life).

Everyone who lives in our area, visits periodically, or has ever seen a photograph of a car in The New Yorker has an opinion on what is best for the traffic flow in our little burg. Of course, I started it by saying that I will live with the new light -- even though I would have preferred a traffic circle.

Several readers suggested the light was being installed at the wrong intersection. They would have preferred it to be installed where Lopez Mateos (the main street of San Patricio --if that is not putting too much lipstick on the pig) crosses Highway 200.

That makes some sense. Lopez Mateos does not have the elevation issues that face drivers on Álvaro Obregón, but Lopez Mateos seems to bear a heavier traffic load. Getting on or off of the highway there is like playing roulette with the god of bent fenders.

And that is exactly what happened in today's photograph. In Mexico, the law (or custom, I am not certain which), requires a driver who wishes to turn left off of a thoroughfare, to pull to the right, wait until traffic clears, and then cut left across all lanes.

It makes sense. That method allows the traffic to flow, instead of waiting for someone to turn.

Not everyone does that. In fact, hardly anyone does it. Even though there is a left-turn lane on the lateral at that intersection, most drivers just toss out the anchor and try to worm through any hole that opens up. With no turn signal.

Yesterday, a woman driving a white car did just that. But she chose unwisely. She abruptly stopped right in the path of a dump truck.

That is her standing in the street. You can see the paint transfer she donated to the dump truck's bumper.

Fortunately, it appears no one was hurt. That is not always the case where trucks are involved. Just before I left for San Miguel de Allende, a dump truck ran into a tourist bus killing a couple of the passengers, including the driver, I believe.

That last sentence would have ended up in my termination if I had written it for any of the newspapers and magazines to which I have contributed over the past six decades. My source was the chief fount of information in our little villages -- rumor.

And I am about to add another sin to my bucket. I have reason to believe what I told you about the traffic light on 
Álvaro Obregón. After all, I see evidence that it is being installed. And it was confirmed by someone I know who closely tracks the machinations of the state and local governments.
This little tidbit has not been vetted. Other than the fact it comes from a Mexican businessman who is civilly active.

I told him about yesterday's accident and mentioned that some of my readers thought the new traffic signal should be at the Mateos intersection. He agreed.

Then, he told me, there is going to be one there. And street lights are going to be installed on Mateos through downtown. At night, the main street is as dark as my chances of becoming the first American protestant pope. (Even though I have chosen my papal name.)

Fortunately, he stopped before verifying the new McDonald's in Barra de Navidad and the Carl's, Jr. in San Patricio. He left those announcements to me.

So, like many things here, patiently waiting brings results. And it gives me another storyline to follow.

What could be a better result than that on a Wednesday morning?   


No comments: