Tuesday, February 21, 2012

dim sum i

Dim sum are a marvelous invention.  Bits of food designed to tantalize.

In that spirit, let me offer up a few bits of visual dim sum.  (I plan on doing a few of these during this series between tour courses to cleanse the palate.) 

China is filled with vendors.  But this is one of my favorites: a roasted chestnut seller.  You can almost hear Mel Tormé in the background.  This seller is braising her wares on the sidewalk in front of the Summer Palace.  I planned on buying some, but never got around to it.


While walking around the lake at the Summer Palace, we saw some dark figures on the other shore.  It looked as if the were walking on the surface of the lake.  They were.  On the ice.  The weather had been cold enough to bring a bit of Minnesota to the Orient.  Or to bring Siberia south.


The Chinese authorities are always on alert to educate its citizens and visitors.  Including this helpful hint.  Above a urinal.


China’s streets are filed with cars.  But there are still plenty of utilitarian utility vehicles.  Including this motorcycle.  With an aluminum enclosure.  Maybe this is where the Volt was born.

 
And, of course, there is always a McDonald’s nearby.  I was going to say they are as universal as Coca-Cola signs.  But, in China, there are far more KFC shops than McDonald’s.


12 comments:

Felipe Zapata said...

Ah! Greasy chicken. Yum.

Steve Cotton said...

It helps to make the bits slip down.

Irene said...

Been of the grid for three days and have now caught up with all of your posts about China.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos.  My favorite photo was in your "Forbidden Fruit" post on the 19th.  It was a closeup of a sort of plaque in blues and greens, with birds wading in the water.  That was more beautiful than some of the massive buildings.  Did you happen to walk over to the McDonalds to see what they actually serve?  I was told once that the menus vary according to country.  Maybe that is not true.

Steve Cotton said...

 I did not darken the doorstep of McDonald's.  But I looked at a KFC menu.  I understand most of the chicken has a spicy flavoring.

Like you, I prefer the human scale pieces in China.  And there are quite a few.  As you will see over the coming weeks.

Genee3 said...

 Thanks for sharing your visit. We don't know when we'll be able to make such a trip. Are your transmissions scrutinized by the Chinese government? From where are you blogging over there?

Regards and safe travel.

Geneve and Cam

Steve Cotton said...

I am back on this side of the pond. China blocks access to all blogs -- reading and posting. So, I had to wait until I returned to a freer country to post my tales.

Andean said...

How was the dim sum? SF has some good places...but China may put those to rest...

Steve Cotton said...

About the same as a good Chinese restaurant in San Francisco.

Kim G said...

So?!?  Did you actually EAT any dim sum? 

I was hoping for pictures of tasty morsels. Instead I got MickeyD...LOL

Cheers,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where dim sum is one of the things we miss about San Francisco.

Steve Cotton said...

I use hooks shamelessly. But, yes, we had dim sum -- mainly dumplings at almost every meal. Including breakfast.

Andean said...

The MacD's picture reminded me an interesting venture out of the country, not only as far as a different palate, all positive- very tasty.
Difference, utensils were used to cut their burgers and fries. A shock to say the least...as I was picking up my burger!

Steve Cotton said...

i had a similar cultural shock in England when I was presented with a knife and fork just as I picked up my sandwich.