Monday, March 26, 2012

contrasts in the shade


Contrasts let us appreciate life.

Indifference shows us the strength of love.  Night's cloak lets us truly see the details of the day.  And I suspect that is all Hegel was attempting to teach us with his convoluted Teutonic dialectic.

My friend, Ron Nelson in Oregon, sent me an email that tossed me down this philosophical rabbit trail.  The photograph at the top of this post is of his back yard.

My former state has been having some very odd weather.  When I was there in December, it seemed like Spring.  But Oregon has suffered a series of winter storms that do not fit its regular pattern.

Oregon is a wet winter state.  Not a cold, snowy place.  That is why I never quite understand people from places like Ontario or Alberta when they say they come south for the weather.  Weather has never been a real factor for me in deciding where to live.  But, for them, the contrast is greater.

And that sounds just a bit churlish this noon.  Because here I sit on my patio.  72 degrees.  60% humidity.  With a nice breeze.  Almost perfect.  With the exception of the odd mosquito -- who is simply trying to add to the contrast, I suspect.

I may have not come south for the weather.  But today I can really appreciate the contrast.

So, Ron.  As much as I enjoy contrasts, today I will simply enjoy this end of the spectrum. 

But thank you for letting me appreciate it.


23 comments:

Fiddeus Snypestringer said...

YOU WANT CONTRAST?!  I'LL GIVE YOU CONTRAST YOU'LL NEVER FORGET!!  IF I GET MY HANDS ON YOU, YOU WASCALLY WABBIT!

John Calypso said...

"With the exception of the odd mosquito -- who is simply trying to add to the contrast, I suspect."

I suspect more of wanting to add to the blood bank. Thank God for mosquito netting and gorgeous sunsets.

Steve Cotton said...

I was wondering where you had gone. I thought Hegel would pry you out of the closet.

Steve Cotton said...

I have never used netting here. I am a chemical warfare type of guy. My can of Raid is always within reach.

Babsofsanmiguel said...

And here in San Miguel 82 with 14% humidity!  Magnifico........

Fiddeus Snypestringer said...

 Yes, I'm an out-of-the-closet Hegelian, filled with synthetic angst at the the thought that I might not be progressing adequately toward full rationality. 

I wish it were so, but I don't have the necessary energy it takes to support all that inflated 19th century interactionism.  My crystal palace is in shambles.  The steam has gone out of my engine.

All that's left is empty bluff.

No!  Wait! I may be Hegelian after all.

Steve Cotton said...

A bit too hot and dry for me. But that humidity level will soon seem far more acceptable when summer rolls around here on the coast.

Andean said...

Raid for Mosquitos... OFF is by my side.
And know I brought the perfect weather--wonderful!

Steve Cotton said...

 Sir, I do believe your synthesizes is showing.

Cineguy said...

At least netting wouldn't poison you in the process...If any of you commenting only knew the VOLUME of that stuff which is dispensed nightly in that particular yard! A tropical, chemical/ant wasteland after the sun goes down. 

Steve Cotton said...

 Even this evening is nice.  The crocodile is back.

Andean said...

Yes. Thanks for the croc warning...

Steve Cotton said...

 For some reason, the mosquitoes were quite active tonight.  I killed at least 10.  Most with Raid.

Steve Cotton said...

Not a warning. An invitation.

John Calypso said...

 No chemicals here - you know the Calypsos - tree hugging vegetarian - none chemical weirdos.

Steve Cotton said...

 And, of course, I prefer my chemicals in my meat.

Cineguy said...

I suspect because there was a big meat target out with them--no offence. :) There is something about chemically "raiding" the yard both you and my dad seem to get a kick out of.  I would still like to see you don the oxygen-style tank, gloves and 6 foot pole with pressure-washer nozzle out there--true raid-master soldier going to battle!   

Andean said...

They must have been all by you tonight--or the Raid blew in this direction...just got out of the pool, not a one.
But I heard activity in the Laguna don't think it was just mosquitos.

Steve Cotton said...

 And last night the termites were added to the list.  They are back.

Debi in merida said...

this is what you need 
http://spanish.alibaba.com/product-gs/rechargeable-electronic-bug-zapper-506833279.html
we have 3, and can get them at any oriental buffet restaurant or main intersection here in Merida, stop over, I'll treat you to one!

Andean said...

Not a one here when I was in the pool late night--maybe your ammo blew this way by then.

Steve Cotton said...

They must have all been inside my house. It was the worst night I have had in some time.

Steve Cotton said...

 I have seen them for sale on the street corners of Guadalajara.  I should get one.  Of course, I will probably end up breaking everything in the house -- including that mahogany center piece.