Saturday, March 31, 2012

the game is afoot


This map fascinated me when I ran across it earlier in the month.

If someone had asked me to identify what the blue, orange, and red sections represented, I would never have guessed.  At least, not correctly. 

It certainly is not a map of how the world would vote (if it could) in the 2012 presidential election.  That would mean Kenya would vote for Mitt Romney.  And that sounds odd.

The blue area is the portion of the world that observes daylight saving time (with varying start dates).  The red and orange portions represent countries that formerly or never have played the game of springing forward and falling back.

Mexico joins the game tomorrow morning.  Three weeks after Canada and The States switched.  (That is the extent of my public service announcement for those of you in Mexico.  Fortunately, my telephone and computers should switch automatically.  But, if I want to get up in time to get to church, I will need to manually move my night stand alarm forward one hour.)

For those of you who dislike daylight saving time (and that appears to be a vast majority of the people in the world who simply do not play the game), here is another piece of trivia for your quiver. 

In The States, daylight saving time was first implemented as a temporary expedient to save utilities during the First World War.  Another Progressive idea to create a Wilsonian world. 

Like most things temporary proposed by the government, it became permanent.  Just like the temporary increase in income tax rates to finance that war.  Not to mention the fact that it failed to save utility costs, as well.

But it is still with us.  And I will do my part to play the game. 

Fortunately, by choosing to live in Mexico, my time under sentence will be a few weeks shorter than my northern correspondents.

Of course, if I really disliked the system that much, I could move someplace where it is not an issue. 

Perhaps -- Kenya.

23 comments:

Andean said...

Never saw the point of it --and now twice within a month! I was just getting use the time--again.

Nita said...

Am I correct in saying that Arizona does not observe daylight saving time? I don't believe the times I've been there it was observed.
                                                           Nita

Felipe Zapata said...

Thanks for the reminder. I had not noticed it was upon us. Stupid rule. If it began in WWI, they must have ended it for years because I sure do not remember it from my childhood.

Rick said...

There you go, Nita has a place for you that's not progressive but in fact backward. 
A Wilsonian world was to be a world be at world at peace. 
Surely that should fit in with your deep religious convictions. Or is it that progress cannot fit in with religion?

I'm not giving you a hard time just curious.

Tancho said...

Daylight savings or not, we still have more time down here than NOB!
 

LeslieLimon said...

I am not looking forward to springing forward.  It is a cruel April Fool's joke that we will be waking up to tomorrow.  

Steve Cotton said...

It has a good aspect, though, and a very good one it is. It forces us to change. In my ideal world, I would get out of bed with no idea what time it was or how long an hour would last. But I guess I do that already. It's called retirement.

Steve Cotton said...

 You are correct.  Arizona is the orange spot within the United States border -- along with Sonora in Mexico.  after all, who wants an extra day of sun in the summer when you live in Scottsdale?

Steve Cotton said...

Daylight saving time went in and out of favor after the First World War.  Farmers hated it.  Still do.  Plants and animals stay on standard time. 

After WWI, some states kept daylight saving time; others abandoned it.  When Congress passed a uniform law in 1966 for states who played the game, a number of holdout states joined.

I remember an initiative in Oregon where the opponents featured bleary-eyed children trudging to school in the dark as part of their ad campaign.  It was an early lesson about the power of political manipulation. 

The evidence on whether it has an energy value is mixed -- with most studies showing, at best, a negligible effect.  But the kids who were blackboard monitors at school and grew up to be politicians and bureaucrats seem to love it.  No matter the evidence. 

Steve Cotton said...

Wilson suffered from the delusion that human nature can be perfected through the reform of political and social processes.  His views were a mix of his Presbyterian upbringing and his complete faith that technology would improve our very natures.  He was very much a man of his time.  Many fell away from the Progressive faith with the sinking of the Titanic.  And more with the outbreak of the First World War.

I too dream of a world at peace.  The world that Jesus described in the Sermon on the Mount as the Kingdom of God.  A kingdom that is created one heart at a time.  And certainly not with swords and bombs.

And, as I commented to Andean, I do not oppose change -- even in the smallest things.  I came to Mexico to get up every morning and not have the slightest idea how to get through the day.  A time switch of one hour is a tiny drop in that dream.

Steve Cotton said...

 We do, indeed.  And I spend it like a drunken sailor.  Not as a drunken sailor, mind you.

Steve Cotton said...

Except for the fact that the equivalent of April Fool's Day down here is 28 December -- as you well know, young lady: having been one of the victims of your wit.

sparks said...

I suggest you don't have a flight a day or two after and forget to set your watch ahead like I did a few years ago in Guad.   After casually having a burger and beer I walked to the gate to have them tell me .... we called your name a number of times!

I was able to get a free flight out the next day but spent over $100 staying at the big airport motel.  Hard to think of that when booking online a few months ahead

Steve Cotton said...

 I try to avoid doing any travel during the switch over dates.  Of course, that window is wider now that The States want to be both early and late birds.

Emile said...

Time switches are a pain - I do not like them. Supposedly they are designed for safer early morning move about by children,  If it makes them safer I am willing to put ip with it.

John Calypso said...

Not a fan of the time switching. Prefer Fall back to Spring forward; gain an hour instead of losing one. ;-)

Steve Cotton said...

 It just seems more free market, doesn't it?

Steve Cotton said...

But daylight saving time makes some children get up for school in the dark. That is one reason I hated it as a youngster.

Laurie Matherne said...

Honnduras does not bother with the silliness of Daylight Savings Time. Our days are nearlyy the same length all year long.

Steve Cotton said...

It appears none of the Central American nations do.  Why bother when days and nights are almost equal.

Dan in NC said...

I have to agree with Laurie, Steve. I luv'd the map. It clearly shows that equatorial or close nations do not have a need for bogus / artificial changes. Seems like a valid reason to move a little further South, eh?
Cheers! Dan in NC

Steve Cotton said...

 Heading south would mean more heat.  And I have just about hit my limit.

Pat said...

This is so well put that the timing for me to read this is exact. Thank you