Thursday, July 01, 2010

blog dog



Now and then we bloggers rhapsodize over the acquaintances we have made over the internet.


Networking in its best sense.


They are people with whom I have shared some of my life secrets (not the dark ones, just the slightly sullied ones).  But I have never met most of them.  In fact, I have no idea what some of them look like.  (And that aspect of blog life has grown ever since some bloggers began posing as if they were beneficiaries of the Witness Protection program.)


Several of my friends are amazed that I have made as many contacts as I have over the internet.  As if electronic relationships are inherently inferior to those in the revealed flesh.


Let me give you an example.


I first met
Cynthia and Mike through their blog.  Residents of Washington, they were headed south to teach English in Mexico.  They shared their preparations (repairing and selling their house, winding down jobs) with their readers.


One of their decisions hit home with me.  They needed to decide whether to take their aging German Shepherd with them to Mexico.  In the end, the answer was obvious.  Sitka was a member of the family.  She was going.


I was interested in their decision-making process because I had not yet decided whether I would take Professor Jiggs with me.  I did.  And I was grateful to Cynthia and Mike for their counsel.


After some difficulties in Mexico City, Cynthia and Mike decided to move to Guaymas.  Tragic nearly struck twice.  Sitka disappeared for long periods of time.


But blogs are marvelous.  Even though I was in Oregon and they were in Guaymas, I posted information on my blog concerning Sitka's plight.  In October 2008:
lost dog in Guaymas.  In December: the prodigal dog returns -- again.


When the family moved to Salem, I finally met Sitka -- just as Jiggs and I were heading to Melaque.  Unfortunately, I missed seeing her before Cynthia and Mike moved to Washington recently.


Yesterday brought bad news.  Sitka's health had been steadily declining.  Like Jiggs, she was losing the ability to use her legs.  Cynthia and Mike made the painful decision to have her put down.


The news was sad, and it had an immediate impact on me.  After all, Jiggs died less than a year ago.


But it was more than that.  Cynthia, Mike, and Sitka had become part of my family.  Perhaps, a virtual, electronic family -- but a family, nonetheless.


Wednesday was a perfect summer day in Salem.  The sun was out in a clear sky.  The trees were as green as they shall be.


But something is missing.



Sitka.  Thank you for sharing your life with us.

5 comments:

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Thank you, Steve. Your kind words are comforting coming from someone who truly can say, "I know how you feel."

Babs said...

Awww, how sad. It's true people do not comprehend our attachment to each other even though in most cases we've never met. It is an interesting sociological phenomena.

GlorV1 said...

Yes it is always sad to lose a loved one. Mr. Jiggs is enjoying himself,and Sitka and my Chorizo are there too. We have an English Springer Spaniel and her name is Sister May. She was 14 years in May and lately she too is losing balance and her legs are giving out. We are thinking of taking her next week. It's a hard thing to do. Chorizo died at home when she was almost 14. One never knows what it is like to have a love of a family pet member until they have had that love. Take care Steve. Very nice of you to post about Sitka.

Steve Cotton said...

Mike and Cynthia -- My pleasure.

Babs -- As you said about your memories of Flash, our four-legged pals are not just part of our lives, they are an imtimate part.

Gloria -- Nice thoughts.

Steve Cotton said...

Mike and Cynthia -- My pleasure.

Babs -- As you said about your memories of Flash, our four-legged pals are not just part of our lives, they are an imtimate part.

Gloria -- Nice thoughts.