Friday, December 21, 2012

framing our lives



Thursday was art day in my little village by the sea.

We may not have a cultural scene as multi-layered as San Miguel de Allende.  But we are not sand-encrusted trolls, either.  Well, not all the time.

Three venues opened their doors to the public on Thursday afternoon.

My first stop was at Villa Xochipilli at the end of my street.  I have worked with the owner on projects related to the laguna.  But on Thursday she opened her home to display paintings by her late husband, Martin McCarrick.

I had seen some of the pieces in her home on prior visits.  But this was the first opportunity I had to examine them critically.  I need to return for another visit to spend more time.

In the courtyard, my birder and photography pal Melanie Hester displayed several of her nature shots.  My favorite was a vine snake that had just captured a frog.  Now, why don't I have action shots like that in my garden?

My second stop was at the home of my friends Ed Gilliam (the painter) and Roxanne David (the photographer).  Ed had turned their garden into a perfect gallery for his work.

I have written about Ed's work in the past.  He combines the spirit of Picasso and Gauguin in his individual style.  In addition to canvases, he has started painting table tops.  With some fascinating scenes.

My last stop was at the home of photographer Jeanne McGee.  Even though we have lived near one another for years, I dd not meet her until the Day of the Dead bus trip this year.

She had opened her home to several art vendors in addition to her own interesting brand of photography.  Plus there was music and locally-roasted coffee.  Just what every good art walk needs.

The biggest choice in attending these functions on the beach is which pair of sandals to wear.  But it is nice to know that I have such creative neighbors.  All within a few houses of mine.

I may not need to bring my art collection south, after all.  There is plenty here already.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

Living in Mexico nurtures creativity. This is a benefit that many do not anticipate when they first consider moving here. Away from the familiar details of the home turf, new interests must be developed, and having the time to nurture undeveloped talent is a luxury that most international residents in Mexico would not have ever found "back home." For those who were artists before coming here, Mexico is the perfect muse. The light is amazing and the environment is constantly stimulating.

Andean said...

What a fun day.
Martin has an interesting style. I am lucky to have some of his paintings in my home.

barbara eckrote said...

Love the piece that you photographed. What is his price range?

Steve Cotton said...

I was thinking of buying that piece. But i have only one room with a wall large enough for it. I am not certain about his prices.

Steve Cotton said...

It was great fun.

Steve Cotton said...

And my tales write themselves.