Friday, January 03, 2020

in training


Last January we chatted about a chili-eating contest that had just been held in Barra de Navidad (into life a little spice must fall).

The contest was based on Mexican dishes that included three of the world's spiciest-known chili peppers. The chilies were not your quotidian jalapeños, serranos, or habaneros. They were the super-stars of the chili universe:

  • Bhut Joiokia (ghost pepper)
  • Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
  • Carolina Reaper (the spiciest pepper in the world -- with a Scoville rating of 1.5 million; a jalapeño is rated at a mere 8500)   
I had intended to participate in the contest -- on one condition. That the peppers used would actually complement the dish and not be merely a misguided attempt at earning new notches on the macho meter. Chilies are to enhance dishes; not to numb the sences.

It was a great plan, but, for some reason, I did not attend. Instead, I walked over to Bare Essentials, which had provided the chilies for the contest, and bought several jars of Giovanni's salsa made from each of the three super chilies.

When I headed north, I was under the impression that a second chili-eating contest was scheduled later in the month, when I was scheduled to return. More I know not.

On the outside chance that I may participate this year, I was a bit concerned that I have slipped out of chili-training while I am up north. In Barra, I use chilies in almost every meal -- including breakfast. By comparison, northern food is almost devoid of the blessings of chilies. I needed something to whet my edge.

My salvation came with a trip to the Meat Market in Bend earlier this week. Darrel and I buy our jerky there -- almost exclusively. I struck the mother lode. Habanero jerky and Carolina Reaper Styx. I particularly liked the Greek mythology pun of "Styx."

The half pound of Habanero jerky and the six Carolina Reaper Styx are now history. And my taste buds are up to the challenge of tasting high-quality Mexican dishes enhanced with the spice of the underworld.

Now, I just need to know when my digestive system will have its date with destiny.


No comments: