Saturday, March 13, 2021

signing off


In an hour or so, I will start packing for my trip to Oregon this afternoon.

These one-week jaunts require only about five minutes of packing. The routine is rather simple. It takes more time to prepare my dinner for the flight.

But before I do that, I wanted to share what appears to be the completion of the installment of the third-generation "Barra de Navidad" sign. I really liked the first one, and was rather agnostic about the second. But this version seems to be a home-run.

Made out of concrete to battle the erosive effect of climbing tourists and the corrosive effect of sea brine, this sign may be with us longer than the last two. And that is good because it is a pleasant piece of work.

The first sign included representations of the spirit of Barra de Navidad painted directly on the faces of the letters. So, does this version.

Pelicans. Fishing boats. A jumping dorado. The new maleconcito. A sunset. And the merman-mermaid statue that graces the malecon. There is only one obvious AWOL: the fallen-arm Jesus. But the artist could not include every comer.

Speaking of the artist, I understand Heidy Sanchez provided the artwork, and she made a bold choice. Instead of opting for strict representational art, she opted for an abstract palette.

While I was shooting the sign, a woman asked me if I knew when the painting would be completed. I told her I thought it was done. She pursed her lips. "It can't be. The mermaid does not even have a face. I hope the artist puts a smile on her." I could hear Ed Gilliam smile.


Well, I do like the painting. The artist has captured the spirit of this little village by the sea. And I applaud her for it. My opinion, of course, is influenced by the fact that abstract expressionism is my favorite school of art.

Now, comes the hard part. I have heard that, even before the painting was well under way, someone had vandalized one of the letters. That was unfortunate. But when you mix people, alcohol, and public art in the same area, having nice things is always a challenge.

I chose to write about the new sign today because it is the perfect symbol that will soon draw me home.

Perhaps I could pack up the sign and take it with me.

It is only for one week.

No comments: