Saturday, April 26, 2008

cruise with me


When Andee recruited me into the ranks of bloggers, I had no idea what a rich experience it would be. For two weeks in April, I was effectively out of touch with the blogs that I read on a daily basis. I felt like I had lost some of my closest friends. Not being able to post made me feel almost as lost.


I have tried to explain these feelings to my non-blogging friends. They just do not get it. This is truly a unique community.


For that reason, I am feeling a bit guilty about being back home for almost a week without posting anything substantive. I intend to spend a portion of the day putting together a summary of my trip -- starting later today. If you would like a preview, I posted a review on Cruise Critic earlier this week.


If any of you have any specific questions, let me know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fine and responsible report that will help those that come after you I think.

Me I am not a cruise ship person.

I am a Steve's Blog person (daily) and look forward to you getting back in the swing of things.

Juan Calypso

Todd said...

Well, I want you to know that I reduced the number of postings I did, so you wouldn't get too behind!

But now look out!!!

Todd

Steve Cotton said...

Juan and Todd --

As you know, I look forward to postings on each of your blogs. I just need to settle down and start writing again.

Hollito said...

No need to feel guilty for not posting as soon as you are back!
I really admire people like e.g. Wayne, who posts nearly every day and has two (!) blogs he fills with interesting entries and photos.
My own experience is that "non-blog-writers" really can not see how much work and thoughts are needed to write even a single entry for a weblog. And - as you said - they do not understand that it can be really important to read and comment weblogs of people you maybe have never seen or met.
You wrote:
"For two weeks in April, I was effectively out of touch with the blogs that I read on a daily basis. I felt like I had lost some of my closest friends. Not being able to post made me feel almost as lost."

For people who have no idea of weblogs, this sounds crazy, but for all those bloggers, it is just true.
I really think one can get a close impression of the people who write a blog, and I was never disappointed to meet the "bloggers" I knew just from reading before (e.g. the German ones in Mexico City, we met in Dec. 2006 one evening and it was really great to see them, and the whole meeting had a wonderful and friendly atmosphere).

Steve Cotton said...

Hollito -- Amen. I hope we can run into one another one of these days.