Friday, February 11, 2011

switch backs


When asked if one of his current theories was inconsistent with a prior theory, John Maynard Keynes responded: “When the facts change, I change my mind – what do you do, sir?”


I am no Keynesian.  However, I am more than willing to change my mind when the facts change.  And they certainly have changed for me when it comes to the livability of the Mexican highlands.


Just two weeks ago, in high and dry, I wrote about my first foray into Mexico's high country: "As we were driving through the countryside (and I must confess I did far more sleeping than looking), it occurred to me that I have seen landscape like this before.  Not only in interior Spain.  But also southern Texas."


The drive between Guadalajara and Guanajuato is the type of land I remember in Laredo during my pilots training days. 


But I have discovered this last week that central Mexico's cities can offer a lot more than cattle ranches and cactus hills.  The area around Morelia and
Pátzcuaro looks a good deal like central Oregon.  Hills.  Mountains.  And, best of all, trees.  Real trees that combine into decent forests.


I am still in
Pátzcuaro as I write this.  But, during the next few days, I want to tell you about Morelia, the Rosario Butterfly Sanctuary, the ruins at Tzintzuntzan, and, of course, Pátzcuaro.


And, I need to do all that before I head off to Mexico City next Tuesday.


I would like to promise notes from the road.  But the combination of internet connection issues and getting too involved in living my trip gets in the way of postings while events are happening.  Even though I wish there had been some way of showing you the butterfly sanctuary while I was there.


So, sit back and, I hope, enjoy.  Over the next few days I will tell you some tales of high adventure in high country.

10 comments:

teresa freeburn said...

looking forward to it. by the end of this trip you'll have gone to the 3 places i had hoped to go to when we were there 3 years ago but unfortunately we were not able to make it. gto, patz and san mguel, someday i will go there for sure. in the meantime i will have to travel vicariously through you.

say hi to tancho and senor zapata if, or should i say, when you see them.

teresa

Cynthia said...

Copy that message from teresa...say hi to Señor Zapata and Tancho for me too!!!

Don Cuevas said...

We'll be in Pátzcuaro around mid day, if you'd like to meet for coffee or lunch.

Look for my email.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas

Steve Cotton said...

It has been a good series of trips, but they have been too brief. I will need to return -- as soon as I get that transmission repaired.

jennifer rose said...

There is just something about the Michoacan countryside, or at least the part between Morelia and Patzcuaro. Everyone said it resembles wherever it was they came from. New Hampshire people say it looks like New Hampshire; New Mexicans say it looks like northern New Mexico; Californian say it looks like northern California. There is some meaning in all of that, but what it is is anyone's guess.

Steve Cotton said...

Soon all will be revealed.

Steve Cotton said...

My walk around the town early this morning has ensured my return. It is almost as if I live in a different country on he coast.

Steve Cotton said...

I will be on another bus tour. I will follow the school wherever the lead fish takes us. This is another "get a sample" tour.

Steve Cotton said...

A lot of areas have that semi-arid, forested hills look. New Mexico and California I understand. But New Hampshire? You may be correct, though. The area may turn out to be some sort of geographical Rorschach test.

Don Cuevas said...

Yeah; it resembles the north Arkansas Ozarks with cactus. ;-)

Seriously, life in the Ozarks prepared us to some degree for life in rural Michoacán. Not exactly the same, it's true, but there are broad parallels.

Saludos,
Don Cuevas