Thursday, November 17, 2011

one glorious life


“My mother was a fairy princess.”


So said Winston Churchill of his American-born mother.


This afternoon I was relying on Netflix to bring a bit of popular culture into my life.  The venue -- Avery Fisher Hall.  The event -- a concert to celebrate Stephen Sondheim’s 80th birthday.


Audra McDonald was singing “The Glamorous Life” from A Little Night Music.  A daughter’s bittersweet anthem comparing her actreess mother to “ordinary mothers.” 


Her execution was perfect.  Somewhere in the middle of the song, I felt an odd emotional connection with the lyrics.

Which ordinary mothers can't do
Being ordinary mothers all day
Mine’s away in a play
And she’s realer than they

Then it hit me.


The song is a salute to my mother.


I need to explain.  Unlike Desiree Armfeldt, my mother is not an actress.  But she could have been.  I have little doubt she could have been whatever she wanted to be.


Her career is varied.  Model instructor.  Small business owner.  Realtor.  Counselor to politicians.  Woman of faith.  Hers is a glamorous life.


I have heard her say wistfully that she was a “stay at home” mom.  Something she desired above everything else.  But that is not entirely true.


It is true that being a mother was her prime role in this play we call life.  She was always there whever my brother or I needed her. 


But she was no helicopter mom.  We were raised to be independent and self-reliant.  Knowing full well that Mom (and Dad) would be there in the background if we needed them.  Like the Flying Wallendas.


Had she put her mind to it, she could easily have been one of those Manhattan socialites who float from party to fuindraiser to the theater.


Instead, she was one of the women who blazed the path of balancing family and career.  And who could teach, by example, what it was to be virtuous, filled with grace, and practical -- while being glamorous.


I have probably heard the song at least a dozen times   But it really hit a chord today.


And isn’t that just like life?  We often take for granted what most matters in our lives -- until we receive these little pricks of the heart.


So, Mom, thank you for who you are and for what you have helped me be.


This song’s for you.


26 comments:

Al said...

FYI the video was blocked "on copyright grounds".

Steve Cotton said...

Strange.  It works for me.  And in Mexico.  I will see if I can find another.

Babsofsanmiguel said...

How wonderful to let her know, NOW, your thoughts!

guest said...

Beautiful words, beautiful life.

Steve Cotton said...

Yup.  There are times other than obituaries and Mothers Day to say thanks.

Al said...

The entire message says "This video contains content from Image Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
And shame on me for not mentioning that the post is a beautiful tribute to your mother.

Steve Cotton said...

Not to leave out glamorous.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Al.

Christine said...

"Blocked in Your country on Copywrite Grounds." alas.

Steve Cotton said...

I wonder what is up?  Usually it works the other way.

Nancy said...

Hmmm - Messed up my makeup today...Thanks for sharing this - I'd like to meet your mom.

Steve Cotton said...

She wants to come down for a visit.

Darrelcotton said...

Like the sunset in your last post, we don’t always stop to appreciate the wonders that surround us.  I get to see OUR MOTHER, if not daily at least weekly.  It is easy to assume that she realizes how much she is appreciated without actually telling her but it’s time to let the cat out of the bag.  We love you mom and appreciate who you are and all you have done for us since day one.

Steve Cotton said...

Well said.

Babsofsanmiguel said...

I could see the video and hear the music here in Mexico......

NWexican said...

try this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-9mR4m9k8

Darrelcotton said...

The “embedded link” works NOB.

Mcotton said...

How startled I was when I pulled up your blog.  There staring me in the face was a picture of  me.  All the nice things you said about me and then Darrel added  to it.  Thank you both, but I don't deserve them.  I still feel the highest calling is be at home available to the children, teaching and instructing, bandaging their wounds, hugging them till the hurt goes away, letting them know we love them and that God loves them.

Nita said...

Your tribute to your Mother was great. Equally great was her gracious thank-you.
                                                                  Nita

Donna Root said...

Well, Marilyn, you certainly deserve praises, who knows better than your offspring.  And I've been honored to be your friend for a very long time.  Thank you for being nice to a silly girl.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Babs.

Steve Cotton said...

Well, at least, there are plenty of viewing options.

Steve Cotton said...

We have been a very fortunate family.

Steve Cotton said...

She is one great woman.

Donna Root said...

Steve, I never knew you were so sentimental.  It looks very good on you!

Steve Cotton said...

Oh, I hope not! Sentimentality is the hand maiden of bathos.