Tuesday, May 06, 2008

lisbon bon





I did not expect to have the opportunity to write about my stay in Lisbon -- because I was not supposed to stay there. The plan was to leave the ship, go to the airport, and lose another day of my life flying to Portland.







It did not happen that way. Between Cadiz and Lisbon, the ship lost its stabilizer capability. To avoid treating the passengers like popcorn kernels, the captain cut the ship's speed. As a result, I missed my flight.


The upside is that I was able to spend an additional night in Lisbon. The only downside is that the afternoon was overcast and cool. Hardly what I remember of Lisbon in April.


Notice the little dog's job: collector of donations.


I walked around the city reacquainting myself with many of my favorite sights. One thing I always recall about Lisbon is the color yellow -- the color of Portuguese royalty. It is everywhere.







I stopped at my favorite café and enjoyed the type of sardine pâté you can only get in Lisbon. This is not pâté; it is a shot of cookies. I ate the pâté before I could find my camera.



This was the view from my hotel room.



Who says the Portuguese do not have a sense of humor? It appears to be a cleverly disguised rubble chute.




And here ends the lesson -- and the trip. I trust that you have enjoyed sharing my journey with me. But it is now time to get back to moving to Mexico.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi steve,

i have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your cruise and many ports of call. my husband and i visited spain and portugal back in the early 80s when he was stationed in sigonella, sicily. loved the food in both countries, as well as the italian food of course. i've always dreamed of going to brazil, but have yet to make it there. hopefully someday.

i'm sure you have written this somewhere on one of your posts, but i can't recall. where in mexico will you be retiring? i love that country and hope to someday retire there, or at least be snowbirds :-) i look forward to reading about your move and adventures in your newly adopted home.

this is way overdue, but thank you for the nice comments you made on bliss' blog concerning our work in chacala. it was a wonderful experience.

teresa

Steve Cotton said...

Teresa -- It is very good to hear from you. Your entire family was an inspiration to me when I read about you on Bliss's blog.

I am still looking for a place to land in Mexico. I think I will start in Melaque. I had thought about starting in Chacala -- and that option is not entirely dead. But I have found a house in Melaque that will easily meet my needs for my first 6 months. In fact, I think I will post on that topic tonight.

Babs said...

The justaposition of the bridge with the tower with the cross is brilliant. You have a exquisite eye for architectural photography -among other things........

Anonymous said...

Hola Hombre -

Enjoyed the reports on the trip - but yes down to Mexico business - Of course you are not keeping Veracruz out of the mix of possibilities?

Spent some good times in Portugal - good wine and scenic territory.

Next is Mexico...

Juan C.

Beth said...

The ship lost the stabilizer! Yikes. I'm queasy just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

hi again,

just read a little about melaque. it looks like a very nice area and a great location from which to explore other parts of the country before you decide on where to settle for good. seems like renting a place for 6 months is ideal. when will you be leaving? i look forward to reading your post tonight.

thank you for the kind words.
teresa

Steve Cotton said...

Babs -- Thanks for the compliment. I have always enjoyed trying to get the shot. That is one reason I like to travel alone. It gives me an opportunity to stop and get the flow before I take a shot. I hate slowing other people down. In Mexico, I should have the time I need to stop, observe, and capture. At least, I intend to do that.

Steve Cotton said...

Juan -- I am ready to get Mexico back in my focus. The cruise was a nice diversion, but I now have plans to make.

Teresa -- Before Andee died, she and I discussed the pros and cons of various places in Mexico. She loved Chacala, but she was beginning to look for some place with more infrastructure. When I told her about Melaque and Barra de Navidad, she was very interested in my impressions of the towns. If all goes well, I should be in Mexico by June of next year. Let me know what you think of the house. That will be this evening's post.

Steve Cotton said...

Beth -- I thought of you as we were riding the bounding main between Cadiz and Lisbon. That night (in my aft cabin), I was lifted off of my bed at least 6 inches several times. It was the roughest night at sea I have experienced. You would have hated it. (Probably an understatement.)

Hollito said...

Steve,

thank you for sharing your impressions and photos with us.
Always interesting to read and see reports like that. :-)

Steve Cotton said...

Hollito -- It was my pleasure to share. I truly enjoy reading people's reactions and comments.