Tuesday, November 04, 2008

laughing my way through the ballot


Since 1992, America has been involved in a permanent state of presidential campaigning. Today, will end another round, but not the obsessive campaigning.


There was a time when I would be drafting plans to get to at least five parties to watch election returns tonight. This year will be different.


Elections have become such parodies, I decided to simply surrender any pretense that this election will matter by attending a comedy performance.


OK. A political comedy performance: the Capitol Steps.


For those of you who have not had the pleasure of watching or listening to the Capitol Steps, I suggest that you take a look at (and listen to) their routines on their
web site.


Beth (of
Minto Dog) and I watched the Capitol Steps in Portland on election night 2006. We each come from different political backgrounds, but we both agreed that Portland Republicans (a species currently listed as endangered) like jokes about Democrats and Republicans. Portland Democrats like jokes about Republicans -- and get a little confused when the show folk say less than congratulatory things about Democrats. After all, the Capitol Steps appear on public radio.


We will give it another shot tonight in Portland -- and see if people can loosen up a bit. My bet is that Sarah Palin's comment to Dick Cheney "I am you -- with lipstick" will get a bigger laugh than "Obama's got no résumé." But we will shall see.


As for me, I intend to laugh my donkey off.

4 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Hee Haw Hee Haw....Just vote Steve and all will be fine....just finnnnnne. I already voted and things move.

Steve Cotton said...

I voted a few days ago. Every year a large group of us get together and discuss the issues. And then we generally end up voting for almost the same candidates out of a sense of unity.

aighmeigh said...

Sounds like a good way to spend the evening. I keep telling myself just to relax and let it go and watch something entirely nonpolitical... but somehow CNN is still on tv.

I am, evidently, a glutton for punishment. Your evening sounds like much more fun! :)

Steve Cotton said...

Aighmeigh -- Beth and I had a great time. It was a very good show.