Saturday, July 05, 2014

nothing to fear but fear


One of my nightmares is getting sucked into the American health system.

Well, welcome to Nightmare on Medical Street, Part 1.

At our picnic yesterday, my head started aching on the right side.  Not just a headache.  A Federal deficit-sized headache. 

I took what I thought was a quick nap.  What turned out to be two hours.  And I was more tired than when my head hit the pillow.

My sister-in-law, Christy, pulled out her blood pressure cuff and slapped it on my wrist.  The top reading was over 170.  She wanted me to go to the emergency right then.  I referred her back to the opening line of this post.

Last night, I went to bed at 8 and slept for 12 hours.  When I took my blood pressure reading, it had not declined.  It was now nearly 180.

Darrel and Christy would not take "no" for an answer.  Off to the St. Charles emergency room we went -- even though I told them I perfectly capable of driving myself.

And that is where I am right now.  About to be sucked into the maw of all the complexity of the American medical system.

My blood pressure has sped past 180 even though the headache is not as bad as it was.  I suspect the worst thing that will come out of this is going to be how the payments are made.  A combination of Medicare and Tricare -- along with my own co-pay -- will undoubtedly cause a greater headache for me before this is all over.  Welcome to health in America.

I will keep you posted.


No comments: