Saturday, July 01, 2017

canadians on rice



What am I thinking?

I spend the morning writing about construction on rock mounds when I should be focused on what is important. After all, it is Canada Day -- or as some traditionalists still call it: Dominion Day.

I do not need to tell you that I am about as Canadian as grits. But that does not matter in these parts. For some reason, Canadians are attracted to this little piece of Mexico. At times, I think I am living in Regina.

So, the Canadians have adopted me as their only partially-house-trained pet. And I am going to be joining a group of them this evening to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday.

To an American, it seems an odd day. When we think of national birthdays, we imagine George Washington giving a left hook to George III's nose.

But Canada does not have that type of break with its colonial masters. When national independence came, it was gradual. Something like a glacier near Banff.

On 1 July 1867, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick joined together as the Dominion of Canada within the British Empire. With dominion status came limited administrative and political power. As yet there was no Canadian constitution. It was tucked under Queen Victoria's throne, thank you very much. Canada would not get its own constitution until 1982.

That is the way Canadians seem to prefer life to be. When change comes, it is slow. But when it is done, it is complete.

I have already sampled the dinner that will be served tonight at Papa Gallo's. It plays off of the colors of the Canadian flag. Chicken with grilled red peppers and onion on a divided bed of red and white rice surrounded by two pools of sauce -- a white feta and a red cranberry.

That is my type of gradual change,

Happy Canada Day, y'all.


No comments: