Monday, March 25, 2019

it matters how you get there


My first full day out of Mexico and I am spending the day in Hong Kong.

Now, that sounds a bit exotic. That is, until I add one word. I am spending the full day at the Hong Kong airport. My flight arrived at 7 this morning. I do not leave for Australia until 9 this evening.

So, what does a rather obsessive traveler do for fourteen hours in an airport?

Originally, I had thought of slipping across the border into the Communist-controlled portion of the country. After all, there is a high speed train that would take me there. And I did remember to bring my visa that still has six years of its ten-year life remaining.

For some reason, I went against my usual adventurous nature. Pushing the time envelope to do something new perfectly matches my personality. For some reason, I strangled the idea in its gestation.

Maybe because I am a bit tired. My flight from Los Angeles left just after midnight on Sunday morning. And I did not get much rest before the flight or on the flight itself. I will get back to that.

First, let's talk about that photograph at the top of the essay. The advertisement's tag line sums up my trip across the Pacific. The sign is on the side of a shopping center in Culver City. The Best Buy, where I was going to buy a new computer, is inside. I didn't buy the computer.

The billboard advertises the services of Lyft, a ride-sharing program similar to Uber's. "It matters how you get there." It does.

Even when speaking truth, though, California frequently adds just the correct layer of irony to pique my humor.

Look at the sandwich board at the lower left. The side of the building extols the virtues of ride-sharing. The sign then screams at drivers: "Don't stop here!!!!"

On the walk back to the hotel, I passed this almost-natural landscaping. It had just rained in southern California, shifting the wild flowers into full bloom. This is for people who claim there is no beauty in Los Angeles.




The poppies reminded me of the wide array of their cousins in my rock wall at the Salem house. They should be blooming now, as well.

When I am not laughing at signs, I occasionally run across real treats. Here is one. From my hotel room.



A real easy chair. With a hassock. Lit by a reading lamp. All I was missing was a book.

I faked it. I used my Kindle and reveled in the pleasure.

But, we were talking about the flight from Los Angeles to Hong Kong. I started to write that airplane flights are something to be endured, not enjoyed. But I really do not believe that. The trip itself is part of the experience of traveling.

When I fly internationally, I treat myself. I do not sleep well when sitting up. No, that is not accurate. I do not sleep at all when sitting up. And on 14-hour flights that is a bit brutal.

I manage to pump up the experience by combining my air mile bonuses and my miles earned from my credit card to fly first class. If I didn't, I could not afford the luxury.

But luxury it is.

Here is my seat. On my flight there were only 6 first class seats in an area that would accommodate maybe 20 coach seats -- or more.




The best thing about the pod is that the seat not only adjusts to make it more comfortable, it also folds flat into a bed complete with sheets and comforter. I slipped into a pair of incredibly comfortable pajamas.




Because we boarded the flight just before midnight, I turned down what appeared to be a first-rate dinner. But I did not decline the airline's signature caviar, blinis, chopped eggs, and chive-infused sour cream. It is always good.
 

It should have been a nice snack to send me off to a good night's sleep. I did sleep a bit, but I was awake at what would have been 6 in the morning in Mexico.

So, I watched a movie. One of this year's list of mediocre Oscar-nominated best pictures that I had been interested in seeing. The Favourite. Purportedly the story about the friendship of Queen Anne and Sarah Churchill (didn't we already see that on Masterpiece Theater?) and a court interloper. It was far less a tale of the last of the Stuart monarchs than a re-make of All About Eve -- without the charm.

But if I wanted charm, there was breakfast to be had. I learned long ago when flying Chinese airlines never to order the western breakfast when a Chinese breakfast is on offer.


In this case a full assortment of dim sum. One of the best breakfasts I have had in a long time. With plenty of Chinese chili sauce.

So, when we arrived, I was still a bit tired. This is where another benefit of flying first class comes into play. Asian airline first class lounges are like visiting a snazzy boutique hotel.

A dining room with full meals for breakfast, dinner, and supper. Showers. Soaking tubs. Snacks and beverages. Power outlets to feed the maws of our electronic traveling companions.

And, best of all, a day suite where a travel can take a much-needed nap.


As luck would have it, I snagged a day suite complete with a college-dorm day bed. Then I could could not even drift off for a moment of rest.

And that is why I am now writing to you in the business center. If my computer dies while I am here, I can use one of the units offered in the eight separate carrels. Oh, yes, with a pot of jasmine silver needle tea keeping me company.

I think I paid something like $100 (US) total for this round-trip experience. Had I bought it retail, it would have set me back just over $16,000 (US).

It is good to have a frequent flyer account.

This evening, I hope to be climbing on board my flight to Sydney around 9 PM. Business class. For some reason, there is mo first class on this segment.

And tomorrow, the fun of Australia will begin. If I do not sleep through the entire day.

No comments: