Monday, July 22, 2019

folding food fights


I am not a taco fan.

Knowing that, my friends Ed and Roxane told me about their quest to better understand Mexico's quintessential fast food.

They have  been watching "Taco Chronicles" on Netflix. In its  six episodes, the series explores the history and variety of tacos. Pastor. Carnitas, Canasta. Asada. Barbacoa. Guisado.

After each episode, Ed and Roxane take their new-found knowledge and apply it at their favorite taquerias. They thought I would enjoy the analytical challenge. The gauntlet is thrown. I am going to pick it up.

The most obvious place for me to apply that knowledge is one of the favorite taco tables in my part of Barra de Navidad. For years, Ramos Taqueria has been a culinary cornerstone on the main street that runs through my neighborhood.

The Ramos family, just coincidentally, are my neighbors. They were amongst the first people I met here -- all through the good and gregarious graces of the departed Barco Rubio.

But, like much in life, timing is everything. If I walked down Nueva España this evening, I would not find the Ramos family busy at their grill. What I would find is what you see at the top of this essay. The Ramos clan has pulled up stakes.

For those of you who swear by their tacos, do not despair. There is no need to worry. They are still grilling, chopping, and folding your favorites. But they are now in San Patricio. On the same street as Taco Row, but about two blocks further east. Just across from the billiard hall and Pollo Kaliman.

Just look for the large sign and the tell-tale tables outside.


Inside, the faces will be familiar. As will the food.

Now, all I need to do is find some time to watch "Taco Chronicles," mak
e some notes, and sally forth to do conquer an underappreciated (by me) cuisine. 

Folding foods await.


No comments: