Friday, August 30, 2019

signing out


I have seen the signs over the past few months.

There were once two. Now, there is only the one protesting a proposed re-modeling of a vendor alley in San Patricio. The other now serves as rain-proofing where there is no roof.

A little background might help.

There are San Patricio two alleys that feature food vendors. Restaurants. Fishmongers. Butchers. The equivalent of a shopping mall food court.

The alleys appear to be closed-off sections of Calle Ramón Corona (named for one of Benito Juarez's liberal generals); the alleys are the same width as the street they interrupt. (I wanted to verify that was true before I wrote this essay, but I ended up talking with my source about the price of limes and completely forgot my main purpose.)

The two alleys were once identical. Merchants sold their wares in stalls along a wide central passageway.

Before I moved here, the eastern alley was renovated. The stalls along the side of the passageway were removed. A structure was then built in the middle with passage on both sides.

eastern alley
The renovation has a rather tidy look to it. Almost spiffy. Admittedly, it is a bit more difficult to move through the eastern alley (compared to the western) when it is busy. It is also easier for casual shoppers to see what is on offer.

Apparently, some people thought the renovation of the eastern alley was such a success that they petitioned the state and federal governments for funds to renovate the western alley. Those funds have now been approved.



western alley
Here is the rub. As is true with all change, some people favor it; some oppose it. Thus, the protest signs.

As is true with many things in life, the surface arguments that appear to be persuasive often mask other unspoken concerns.

I have mixed feelings. I like the tidiness of the renovated alley, but I do not care for its claustrophobic feel.

Of course, it does not matter how I feel. I do not have a vote here, and I am always mindful of the restrictions Article 9 of the Mexican Constitution places on the political activities of foreigners.

The decision is now in the hands of the young man petitioned in the poster -- the president of Cihuatlán,
 Fernando Martínez Guerrero. Because the funds are earmarked for this specific project, the choice is whether to renovate or to return the money to the state and federal governments.

I will keep my ears open for any future developments. I have no doubt that if the decision is made to renovate, there will be some conversation.


No comments: