Monday, August 26, 2019

tuning up for jesus


Our villages by the sea have their share of religious processions.

That is partly explained by the grasp that Roman Catholicism has on the Mexican people. But, even though Catholicism once held an almost-complete religious monopoly on Mexico, that is no longer true.

Like other countries in Latin America,  Mexicans now practice their Christian faith under other brand names. Evangelicals. Mormons. Seventh-Day Adventists. Jehovah's Witnesses. And the piece of Mexico where I live is no exception.

On Sunday morning, I drive past at least four places of non-Catholic Christian worship. They have two things in common. The congregations are small -- and they are heavily-tilted to the middle class.

As I pulled up to the church where I worship yesterday morning, my path was temporarily blocked by a religious procession. A van softly broadcasting a Christian chorus, followed by about eight boys in white shirts and dark trousers.

I knew the procession was not traditional when two walking guitars passed by. I had to know what was happening.

They took a quick break to adjust their guitar costumes. That gave me my opportunity to indulge in my journalist cross-examination.

It turns out they were from a small church on the highway about three blocks from where we were talking. They were processing through the neighborhood handing our brochures that invited people to their services that morning.

The services were to begin at 10:30 AM. It was now 10. I started to ask if thirty minutes was sufficient warning. Then I realized the church bells at the Catholic church give less warning than that.

If I had not been on my way to an interesting discussion about the parable of the persistent widow, I might have taken them up on the offer.

After all, how often does a talking guitar invite you to church? That must count as some sort of miracle.


No comments: