Monday, February 03, 2020

as welcome as flowers in may



English is larded with weather adages.


"As welcome as flowers in May" is one. It is the corollary of the just-as-optimistic "April showers bring May flowers." Just wait, everything will turn out well in the end. It always does. Or so goes the adage.

Yesterday I wrote about the number of Mexican tourists who are in town for the three-day Constitution Day holiday (feliz cumpleaños, señor constitución). I assume most of them came in expectation of spending sunny days on the sand and in the surf. My church lady friend, Leigh Vincent, commented: "Just wish the families had a bit more ☀️ to enjoy their 3 day beach holiday!!"
For the past five days, we have had overcast skies. A northern cold front has intersected with the jet stream providing us with a natural umbrella. An umbrella that would be more welcome during the hot days of summer. In the cool of the winter, it is a bit redundant.

A few days ago we even had a light rain. That is not news-worthy. We have winter rains every year. But, as the empathic Leigh points out, average weather does not relieve the disappointment of 3-day holidayers.

That may be projection on my part. My experience is that, unlike northerners, Mexicans generally are not complainers; they take life as it is delivered. There are Mexican families on the beach this morning running in and out of the surf.

Last night, a wind strong enough to slam my bedroom doors shut blew in for about a half hour. Then, it started to rain. Not a tropical train. More like a London rain. Soft and steady. Enough to keep me sequestered in my library catching up on my reading. Twelve hours later, the rain is still falling.

Part of the trellis in front of my bedroom gave way under the weight of the rain on the vines. The vines are supported by a thin mesh. Apparently the mesh tore away from where it is tied to the top of the trellis. Later today I will walk down to the hardware store to buy some new ties. When the rain stops, I will pull out my trusty ladder, heft the fallen warrior to its rightful position, and all will be as it once was.


After all, February showers bring February flowers -- or something like that.    


No comments: