Sunday, May 10, 2020

celebrating life


This is one of those holidays where we squeeze our sentiments into the confine of 24 hours -- and feel just a bit smug about ourselves that we have met our social duties.

Do not get me wrong. Mother's Day is one of the few holidays that I truly enjoy. But, I often wonder why we cannot stretch out those Hallmark and rose-studded feelings throughout the year. I suspect every Mom has asked that question. I know mine has.

The photograph at the top of this essay is a good example. When I realized it was Mother's Day, I started digging through some of the photographs I had brought south from Oregon last December. The photographs are a good sampling of the detritus of our lives -- taken by a number of shooters.

I like this photograph. I am too young to remember the event, but it was a family trip to the beach (I suspect, it was Bandon). That is my Mom holding her two squirmy boys who are not the least bit happy to have their photograph taken. My Dad shot it.

The fact that the new pickup plays a prominent role is no accident. We were the quintessential American family of the early 1950s. Vehicle lives mattered. And they were always Fords -- with the occasional Mercury tossed in for variety.

 My Mom has had several careers. And she has excelled at each. If I asked her which job she most enjoyed, I know what her answer would be because I have heard her say it multiple times -- being a Mom. My brother and I would both give her high marks.

Let me get back to the point I was making at the top of this piece. I have yet to meet anyone who did not admire their mother's efforts in maintaining family life. That is why Mother's Day is a great idea. And I know mothers appreciate what we do for them on this day.

I have one suggestion, though. If we were to keep the spirit of this day in mind and share the same feelings with our mothers throughout the year, it would be just a fraction of what they did for us. And maybe I could spend a bit more time appreciating those memories tucked into the photographs in my library rather than using them solely as writing props.

So, Mom, here's to you on this Mother's Day where all of us are sequestered in our homes in three separate cities. We may be isolated physically by the virus, but you, Darrel, and I are united by the work you have done and the sacrifices you have made in your best job -- as a mother.

Happy Mother's Day.


   

No comments: