Friday, May 15, 2020

you're in the army now


Well, not really. But I was in the Air Force.

Earlier in the week I made a passing reference to my Air Force flight training in Laredo. A couple of readers were surprised I was in the military. At least two others were more surprised that I would have eaten Air Force chow.

But, it is true. I served with the American Air Force a total of twenty-eight years: from 1971 to 1999. Five years on active duty, and twenty-three years as a reserve judge advocate.

In the five years I was on active duty, I was stationed at seven different bases:
  • Medina AFB, Texas 
  • Laredo AFB, Texas
  • Lowry AFB, Colorado
  • Castle AFB, California
  • Nellis AFB, Nevada
  • HAF Araxos, Greece
  • RAF Upper Heyford, United Kingdom
Both of the photographs in this piece were shot at RAF Upper Heyford, a three-squadron F-111 base. There was a bit of Patton in me those days. I loved getting costumed up in combinations of my own making. 

My 240Z is in the background

That is my right-hand man, SMS Davis, patiently standing beside me. We look as if we had just left a squadron staff meeting.

I have no idea who took the photograph, but I do recognize the two mugging airmen behind us. They were part of the maintenance crew.

Those photographs are the only two I have with me in Mexico. Four or five albums with photographs of those years are in my mother's garage. 


I would have brought them with me on my last trip, but they were too heavy and I was concerned that our humidity would have its way with them.

Maybe I will share more with you when I bring them back on my next trips north. Whenever that will be.

But, the answer to the question is: Yes. I was in the military. And, one day, I will share some tales.  

No comments: