Tuesday, June 23, 2020

a tale of two wallets


Losing a wallet presents all sorts of challenges -- especially, if the wallet contains almost all of your identification and bank cards.

That, of course, is exactly what happened to me in early May. Interestingly, replacing my drivers' license, Medicare card, credit cards, and ATM cards was simple. It took either a couple of minutes on the computer or talking on the telephone with a customer representative.

Even starting the process to obtain a replacement permanent resident card was simple. (More about that later this week.)

As unlikely as it seems, the hardest part of Operation Recovery was the wallet.

It should not have been that difficult. Even though my lost wallet was only two years old, it was already showing signs of wear. The seams were coming undone and the leather was torn in several places.

I tend to be rather conservative when it comes to clothing and accessories. Almost two decades ago, I found a pair of Ecco shoes that were the most comfortable I had ever worn. When one pair wore out, I would buy another just like it.

About five years ago, Ecco slightly changed the design, but they still worked for me. But the store clerk delivered bad news. The line was being discontinued, and Ecco would no longer make anything similar.

So, I bought all of that design in my size -- five pairs. I am now down to the last of those shoes.

The wallet I lost had replaced a wallet that looked just like it. Dark brown leather by Columbia. I knew I was not going to find one in town. But, as soon as I received my permanent resident card, I had planned to fly north to retrieve all of my lost cards and to obtain another piece of identification I could only do in person in Oregon. I could buy another wallet there -- just like the one I lost.

My resident card has taken longer to process than I had anticipated. I did not want to buy one of the local Mexican wallets because the leather is too thick and rigid for me.

My niece Kaitlyn came to the rescue. Several years ago she made a wallet for me out of computer circuit boards. The idea was as clever as she is. It turned out to be the perfect temporary wallet. Light-weight and novel.

Then my son Omar came to the rescue. Last Sunday on Father's Day, he gave me a black leather wallet. It is my first Father's Day gift, and I truly appreciate the sentiment behind it, but, even more, I appreciate its utility.

So, I am now ready to become an airline warrior again. Immigration has promised my permanent resident card will be in my hand in another two weeks. When, it arrives, I will book a flight to Oregon to stay for a week gathering up what I need to fill my wallet.

And when I return to Barra de Navidad, my wallet will remain stripped of anything but what I need to do business on any given day. (Of course, that was how I lost everything last time.)

I will have two handy wallets to fill with the fruits of my travel.
   

No comments: