Friday, June 19, 2020

dropping my ballot


I found an unexpected treasure in my postal box this morning.

My primary election ballot from Nevada.

It was a surprise because I do not remember filing an absentee ballot application this year. But I must have because there was a ballot in my box.

Then it occurred to me. Nevada is one of those states with poll voting that allows its citizens to apply for a "Permanent Absent" ballot -- which sounds like a nice term for my forgetfulness. I had submitted that application two years ago. Far too distant in the past to recall any details.

I eagerly opened the envelope because I have been following several hotly-contested races: for a seat in Congress, two Nevada Supreme Court positions, and a family court judge job. I had my favorites in each race.

After marking my choice for Congressman and Seat B on the Nevada Supreme Court, I glanced up at the top of the ballot to see what you have undoubtedly already seen in the photograph. The ballot is due on 9 June 2020. Or, to be accurate was due. That was ten days ago.

I first thought I might be the culprit for the ballot's tardy arrival. I have not visited my mail box for a couple weeks. If I had opened the envelope on 9 June, I could have scanned my marked ballot and submitted it by email. I have done that in every election cycle since I moved here. But it was too late for that.

Then I checked the "received" stamp. The envelope did not arrive until today. For whatever reason, my ballot took far longer than any other letter mailed to me from Nevada in the past. It is just one of those things we immigrants face.

I am a big fan of the Mexican mail system. And, for all I know, the Mexican side of the delivery may have been just fine.

What I do know is that I am fine with not voting. One of my favorite authors is P. J. O'Rourke. I may have simply adopted the title of one of his books as my unintended motto. Don't Vote! -- It Just Encourages the Bastards.
Tomorrow (or some time) I will tell you about my trip to our local clinic to undergo a Coronavirus antigen test. But that drama can wait for a day -- or more. 

No comments: