Thursday, February 03, 2022

skipping the rites


I am not a traditionalist when it comes to ceremony.

Whether it is religion, social gatherings, or patriotic displays, I like my rites stripped almost to the essentials. That may be due to my inner Quaker.

But one traditional rite has always fascinated me. Tea ceremonies. Whether Chinese or Japanese.

The warming of the cups and pot. Rinsing the pot. Allowing the tea to become one with the pot and the water. Each step has a practical purpose, but the practicality never impinges on the beauty of creating what is always the goal -- a perfect cup of tea for the guest.

The stainless steel pot that arrived at my house (through the good graces of Amazon and DHL) last week (let's get this tea party on the road) will never be mistaken for a clay Yixing pot, but you would be forgiven if you did. The cleaning instructions that were included in the package sound as if the pot, which looks as if it could be found on a Motel Six breakfast table, could be part of a Gongfu tea ceremony.

Just listen. And draw your own conclusion. These are the instructions for daily use. (I simply reprint what is on the sheet.)

  1. Fill half bottled warm water within the teapot mixed with 1/2 cup of white vinegar and wait 10 to 20 minute before cleaning.
  2. Using scouring pad clean the inner side of the teapot and make sure there is nothing is left inside.
  3. Empty the teapot and clean it with fresh water again.
  4. Wait until the teapot is thoroughly dry and then add some warm water. Boil the water and pour the water into the pot to remove any vinegar residue.
  5. Clean the surface of the teapot (using non-abrasive sponge with warm water and mild dishwashing soap)
  6. Dry the outside of your teapot with microfiber cloth.

When I owned a set of Riedel stemware, it did not receive treatment so cosseted.

Here is what happens, step-by-step, at the house with no name:

  1. I rinse the teapot inside and out with tap water.
  2. I then dry it with a terry dish towel (to avoid water spots from the mineral-laden tap water).

That is it. And I trust that my teapot will be as happy with the two-step cleaning as it would be with the odd 6-step suggestions.

There are plenty of hygiene hills upon which we can die. Sloshing around white vinegar in my teapot is not one of them.

Now, I have time to worry about whether to use the fruity-scented Fabuloso or the flowery type.

No comments: