Circumstances may change, but presence makes the difference.
Nancy and Paul posted a list on their blog entitled What We're Excited About. I thought it would be appropriate for me to post a similar list. One big difference is that they had decided where they were going to live and buy property when they posted theirs. I still have several scouting trips to complete before I know where I am going to start my life as a serial renter. And all of that is to say that I am probably far more at the whim of circumstances than I would ever admit.
For obvious reasons, mine is a work in progress -- even though I suspect several of the items are universals.
- university nearby
- archaeological sites within driving distance
- central location for other archaeological sites
- warm, sunny days; cool nights
- new acquaintances -- some with a love of food
- the challenge of a new language
- time to read; time to learn; time to rest
- daily learning to survive
- facing mountains of difficulties -- and being repeatedly crushed
- long walks with Professor Jiggs before breakfast and after sunset
- living outside of a car
- offering help to others
- graciously accepting help from others
On this topic, I truly welcome comments. I realize much of this is personal. But I have already altered the list as I have learned from each of you.