Monday, December 31, 2007

mardi gras bug



I thought you might be interested in meeting my friend: the leaf hopper. If you live in the south, you may have seen these interesting insects that protect themselves by living their lives disguised as thorns. We have leaf hoppers in the Pacific Northwest, but they do not show up with their own stilettos. And that horn is not well-suited for smooth flying. "Hopper" does not create visions of a Concorde glide path.



If you have read my travel journal below (or even if you have not read the journal), this is a picture of the insect that fell down the back of my shirt when I dodged the falling coconut. To give you some idea of how small he was, the green "carpet" he is standing on is the weave of my polo shirt. He may have been small, but that horn caused quite a bit of irritation against my skin.
May you all have a great new year!

No comments: