Saturday, December 22, 2007

lamps unto my feet


"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." P.J. O'Rourke

I promised to put together a list of books that have provided me with some of the information to help me find my way on the road to Mexico. I wish I had made notes while reading. The best I can do is provide the list. If I get a little more time, I will try to glean a few tidbits. But like all good reading, the authors have now transmitted their knowledge to me, and it is part of who I am.

I read each book cover to cover. Some were better than others. Some are more amusing than informative. The prose in one was drier than centro Sahara. The only book that was not very useful to me was the book on buying a second house. I do not intend to take that course. But it was a fast read.

For better or worse, these are my libro friends:

  • The People's Guide to Mexico, Carl Franz and Lorena Havens -- website


  • Live Better South of the Border in Mexico: A Practical Guide for Living and Working,"Mexico" Mike Nelson


  • Heading for Mexico: The Renegade Guide, Don Adams -- website


  • Living Abroad in Mexico, Ken Luboff


  • The Plain Truth About Living in Mexico: The Expatriate's Guide to Moving, Retiring, or Just Hanging Out, Doug and Cindi Bower -- website


  • Choose Mexico for Retirement: Information for Travel, Retirement, Investment, and Affordable Living, John Howells and Don Merwin


  • Guanajuato, Mexico: Your Expat, Study Abroad, and Vacation Survival Manual in the Land of the Frogs, Doug and Cindi Bower


  • Pacific Mexico: Including Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Acapulco, and Oxaca (a Moon Handbook), Bruce Whipperman


  • Gringos in Paradise: An American Couple Builds Their retirement House in a Seaside Village in Mexico, Barry Golson


  • Cashing in on a Second Home in Mexico: How to Buy, Rent and Profit from Property South of the Border, Tom Kelly and Mitch Creekmore (This book is not for any person who believes that a home is what builds a community -- rather than a nest egg.)

I would be pleased to provide my general impressions on any of these books if you are interested. Just post a comment and I will act accordingly. (Is there a person on the internet who is not a frustrated reviewer?)

By the way, my heart has been warmed by each comment you have have posted. I truly feel like part of a growing community.

4 comments:

Marie McC said...

I have the first four on your list plus Choose Mexico for Retirement. I agree, all are very good.

For myself, I've stopped buying books such as these because things are changing so rapidly. The only other books I plan to buy have to do with understanding cultural differences. One I like is There's a Word For It In Mexico.

I'm now doing all my learning about living in and moving to Mexico from message boards and blogs like yours. Thank you for being willing to share your trials and errors with those of us who hope to come later.

Steve Cotton said...

I agree with you that I have just about read all of the general background books I need. What I need now is up-to-date analysis to help make some final decisions -- and message boards and blogs are the best source for that. And being there. Nothing takes the place of going to a new place and staying long enough to know if that is the place to set down roots. In truth, I am starting to be enticed by my old gypsy days when I was in the Air Force -- live intensely for one year and then move on.

There is one book exception: Nancy suggested a book on Mazatlan. I will read it now that I have put Mazatlan back on the list as a possibility.

Of course, all of this is just another excuse for avoiding my Spanish lessons. As I sit here tonight, I realize I have to prepare a lesson for my Sunday School class, draft a blog for tomorrow, do my daily reading, catch up on a pile of magazines (my usual Saturday night chore), pack for our trip to Bend, re-start my Spanish lessons, and walk the dog. I think I am developing a full-time job just enjoying life. But, for now, Jiggs wins. Walk the dog it is.

Nancy said...

A few other books we have read:

Tony Cohan's - On Mexican Time and Mexican Days

Ken Luboff - Adapter Kit Mexico

Barry Farber - How to learn any Language

Language CD's by Michel Thomas (really, really good...)

We also read a lot of books about people who moved to France and Italy and enjoyed their observations about changing countries, etc.

Steve Cotton said...

Nancy -- You make a very good point. Sticking merely to Mexico books often keeps us from lessons learned by others moving to new countries. I wonder if there are any current books on people moving to America? Thanks for the suggestions.