Wednesday, January 20, 2021

just my type


There is an old adage that retirees in Mexico should attempt to complete only one task in a day.

I suspect the adage is a stranger to borders. We of the retirement set often ask how we managed to do all our tasks and also put in a full 10- or 12-hour workday. There are plenty of theories, but there is no need to trot them out on the stage today. None of them are what one might call flattering.

Yesterday, I violated the prime directive of retirement. I put five tasks on my list (don quixote meets the tax man). The wise amongst you warned me that I was just rehearsing scenes that would end in tears. And you were correct.

I cannot speak for all retirees in the world. But I usually do not complete my task list because there are too many tasks on the list, but because I am easily distracted -- and often misinformed.

My first task was to drive over to the post office and pay for my 2021 box rental. Last year the post office required a copy of my latest CFE bill and a copy of my permanent resident card. Because I had the copies in hand, I was positive that I would need some new piece of information to appease the postal powers.

I was wrong. Julio took my copies and started keying the information into his computer. The typewriter in the photograph is used for other purposes. As long as I have had my box, the postal clerks have used their computer for the renewal process.

Jalisco is currently on a partial shutdown. As part of the shutdown, governmental offices usually open to the public are supposed to be closed. I asked Julio about that, but I knew the answer before he could respond. The post office is federal; the shutdown is by order of the governor for state offices.

Paying my rental fee is not a quick process. But it did give me time to talk with Julio about local goings-on. And we have had quite a few of them.

After paying the equivalent of $15 (US) for my annual rental fee, and with my receipt in hand, I headed to the jardin in San Patricio Melaque to talk with a group who were administering covid tests. Anyone who has symptoms was encouraged to set up an appointment to be tested. If the result was positive, the testee would be sent home for self-quarantine -- or potentially to the hospital.

Yesterday not one person had been tested. That was not surprising. It was a bit like taking a voluntary driving test and being told if you failed, you could not drive for a month.

By the time I left the testing area, it was too late to drive to the county seat for the rest of my tasks. "A reliable source," as I was taught to write in my college journalist days, told  me all of the offices I wanted to visit were closed. That evening, I discovered my "reliable source" was not -- just like in college.

Wednesday is one of my house-cleaning days. While Dora set to work, I combined my morning walk with one of my tax tasks. Or fee tasks, in this case. I headed to central Barra de Navidad to pay my annual water, sewer, and garbage fee at our little city hall.

Having been enlightened last night, I was not surprised that the door was open and people were lined up to do what people do at a city hall. Since I was the only water customer in line, I quickly paid the equivalent of $93 (US) for a full year of water, sewer, and garbage service, and was on my way home to join Dora in spic-and-spanning the house with no name.

I have three items left on my list -- car registration, property tax, and bank trust deed. I intend to drive over to Cihuatlán in the morning to pay the second and third items. Several people have told me that even though I can pay my registration fee now, I will have to return in two weeks to pick up my documents. I might as well save one step by paying in two weeks.

But, why I am talking about plans? Probably because I like to hear God chuckle.

At least, two out of five are done. The payment of both reminds me why it is less expensive to live here than in Salem or Reno. And I feel far more content here than there.  

No comments: