Friday, January 18, 2008

counting my blessings; tossing my trash




The sorting begins this weekend. And it very well may take me 18 months to do what I have planned. I have decided that I want to do this only once. (I hear the laughter already.)



One of the categories I have developed could end up as the "I-don't-want-to-think-about-it-now" category. I just need to be brutal in getting rid of things. After all, when I start trying to fit the remainder into my Escape for the trip to Mexico, I will be happy that I tossed or gave things away.

Here are the five categories I will try to use:




  1. Trash -- stacks of papers that were supposed to be memory books, old programs, Christmas cards for the past decade; all can go out right now -- lots of candidates


  2. Salvation Army -- anything that any of our rummage sales groups can use, nothing that is simply passing through on the way to the trash


  3. Gifts -- heirlooms from relatives, art work, valuable books that specific people can actually use -- and not accept grudgingly (no sense in providing fodder for others who need to fill their own Category #2)


  4. Keep for 18 months, then sort -- items I will need day-to-day; a month or two before moving, divide into the other four categories


  5. Take to Mexico -- this group should include only those things that I know I cannot buy in Mexico and that I cannot live without


The categories appear to be simple. But, as my favorite president once said: "They say the world has become too complex for simple answers. They are wrong. There are no easy answers, but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right." Translated: That means that I should have done this a long time ago -- whether or not I move to Mexico.




Several of you have also told me that I am really overanalyzing this process. I will concede that point. From here on, I will try to streamline the process.



Possessions -- prepare to meet your categories.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

We thought we had distilled it down like crazy. I had done several "dry-fit" the van with the boxes we would be taking, etc.

Then when the car was loaded it was so heavy that we ditched most of our tools and some other things.

Then in Medford we dumped two more boxes since we were scraping every time we went up a curb cut to buy gas or something. (all my knitting books and patterns!, Paul's Bukowski! and many other books, darn)

So try to get it down to what you can really see yourself using here or that you need (for us books and artwork) but have a box or two that are lower priority in case you need to ditch them at the last minute.

You'll have fun!

Marie McC said...

Overanalyzing?? Well, there are also people who go to Mexico on vacation then buy a house on their second day there. Just because someone did it doesn't mean you should.

You are hurting exactly NO ONE by your analytic approach, and there are probably equal numbers of people that admire it.

Do it the way that makes YOU feel comfortable!

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Nancy. I actually cribbed a number of ideas from you. But I will never be as organized as your move. I was hoping to get started the first of the year, but Jigg's health and Andee's death managed to change all of those plans.

And, Marie, you are correct, I need to make the move in a manner that suits me. Without the planning, the events over the past three weeks would have completely thrown me.

Thanks to both of you.

Michael Dickson said...

The fifth category is the important one. I sold or gave away everything I owned except things with sentimental value (I found they were few), and things I did not think would be available here.

I found out later that almost anything you want is available here aside from varied cuisines in restaurants, a major loss I could not fit into a suitcase.

Ninety-nine percent of Gringos who move down here lug way too much with them, including a car.

Islagringo said...

Oh the things I could tell you about what to save and what to toss! Maybe an email is in order! LOL

Steve Cotton said...

Michael --

I have been trying to think back to the times I made major moves in my life. The big one was joining the Air Force. I seem to have survived quite well with about two suit cases. Most everything I have accumulated since then has been another thing to catch various levels of dust. The hard part is the art collection. It will not travel well.

Wayne -- Tell me more. I suspect you are correct: email may be the best conversation mode.

Brenda Maas said...

99.99% of what you need is available down here, it might take some hunting to find it; but that is part of the experience of getting to know your new home.
Yes, some things are more expensive; but is it worthwhile packing it, transporting it, worrying about it on the way down? Most of the time the answer is NO.
We are light packers ourselves when travelling and used this same plan in our move. It has worked out well for us; but then we are not big consumers, we live very simply. In the long run it is the easiest way and the lest stressful.
One suggestion I do have and this is only if you do much cooking. If you have good pots and pans bring them as the quality available here is poor, or in our area anyway.

Steve Cotton said...

Brenda --

Thanks for the advice. I thought of cooking gear last night while using my good skillet. I cook a lot. Several of my good pieces will come along -- including my best popcorn kettle. Books and artwork are going to be the most difficult to part with. But I can start over with both in Mexico.

Michael Dickson said...

Brenda is right about pots and pans.