Monday, January 21, 2008

pekes and pollicles


I started to write a blog about the ongoing civil war between gringos in (or coming to) Mexico: the invaders, the idealists, the realists. It all started with the following post on a message board:


We are looking to Mexico to retire since I'm over 60. I'm looking for a comfortable life in my old age, and an affordable one. I think I can have that around Puerto Vallarta. At least I hope so. I would like to see the poverty level raised in rural Mexico, but I think that will be a very slow process. Exposure to new ideas will hopefully raise their awareness. They don't need to come to the United States to have a better life, they can create a much better life right where they live.

For a moment, I thought Ross Perot had escaped. The message struck me as the type that really gives Americans a bad name in Mexico. The same poster had commented earlier how she now felt safe to move to Mexico because she was going to live in a gated community. The only thing missing was a comment that she thought President Polk had done a piss-poor job in 1848 of grabbing only half of Mexico.


Then I decided not to go off on a rant. (Or did I just do it?) We all have our personal reasons to move to Mexico. Once we arrive, some of those reasons change. And I know I have made the mistake of being a bit imprecise in some of the messages I send. But we need to remember Mexico belongs to the Mexicans. They do not need our help to develop a society. They have one of their own. We are the guests.


OK. Enough rant. I just want to get down to Mexico and get settled in.

4 comments:

'Eddie Willers' said...

Can't agree with much of what you're saying Steve.

Mexico needs help. Mexico desperately needs help.

It needs to culturally move away from an Ibero-Catholic, 'God's Will', backward-and-inward-looking focus if it ever wants to take advantage of a tremendous richness of natural resources and raise the standard of living for everyone - not just the fresas in DF & Monterrey.

It needs to move off Roman Law and develop a system modelled on Anglo-Saxon lines with respect for property rights, legal processes and equality before the law.

It desperately needs to develop proper funding methods for the federal and state governments to reduce the reliance on Pemex revenues. The corporate tax collection rate is less than 14% and poorly enforced - no wonder there's no $$ for infrastructure!

i could go on but I sense this comment will generate hostility.

Michael Dickson said...

The great majority of folks living in gated communities down here are Mexican, not Gringos. Most Mexicans would live in gated communities if they could afford it. Nearby Morelia has some fine gated communities.

Actually, most Mexicans create their own gated communities by living behind high brick walls. I do it too.

And so will you.

Steve Cotton said...

Eddie and Michael make good points. This social issue is very complex and most folks end up taking sides and becoming caricatures of their own arguments -- thus the "pekes and pollicles" title.

I am not a social relativist. I do believe that there is right and wrong; good and evil in this world. I am saddened that far too many of my Mexican friends are burdened with centuries of feudal serfdom (in mentality, if not in operation), that fatalism colors every decision, and that hope is seen as delusion. I am encouraged, though, that much of that is beginning to change.

I am currently reading Joseph Ellis's latest book (American Creation: Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic). It is interesting how many of these same issues arose during the founding of the republic. Ellis makes the point, though, as does Eddie, that the American founders had the advantage of building on a system of natural law where due process, liberty, equality before the law, and property rights were basic building blocks of the republic.

It would be great if my new home-to-be could take the best of our experience and mix it with the best of the Mexican experience. Even Jefferson could not allow himself that dream.

Nancy said...

I think one of the biggest lessons I am learning in Mexico is that there are many different viewpoints and that most of them will be different from my own. I find many Americans and their "need to fix everything" attitude hard to bear and in my previous life might have gotten worked up about it.

But now my mantra is that I am making a life for myself in the shape that I want it...and others can do the same.

I do know that I wouldn't ever tell Mexico what it needs to do from an "I know better" standpoint...but would only express myself by my actions.

ANyway, what I am trying to say here is that (especially on forums) you can run into people who are infuriating and crass. I say, when you do...just let it go - and just keep following the path that's right for you.