Monday, January 07, 2008

enjoy it now

Having rolled in the mud, Jiggs inventories the ducks in the stream.


I will start with an apology. I realize this is a blog about moving to Mexico, not a pet owner's photo album. But I have placed all of my planning on hold while I dealt with Jiggs's health. I have been prepared during the past week to post how I took Jiggs to the vet for his final visit.

Well, it has not happened; and it looks as if that day will not be soon. This evening, we went for a walk in the park. Rather, I went for a walk -- Jiggs went for a jog. He literally ran more steps than he has for years. I was amazed.

Is this the burst of energy before the end? Does he really feel that much better? Have I witnessed one of God's small miracles? I don't know. What I do know is that I am going to enjoy life just a little better because of what Jiggs and I have been through. I have had my first real taste of grief. After 58 years, it is time I learned to taste that particular dish. But, more important, I have learned to enjoy each moment as it occurs.

That is an incredibly important lesson that I can take with me to Mexico.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I pop into your blog every once in a while since I found you through an Isla blog.

I swear, I get all weepy every time I do as you chronicle what you're experiencing with your very special boy.

In fact, there was one entry I couldn't even read.

What a beautiful, dignified best friend you have.

Steve Cotton said...

Melissa --

I am glad you found the blog. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing it. At one point, I will return to focusing on Mexico. But first things first.

Jiggs is a great guy. He is perhaps the most willful, obstinate, and bull-headed golden retriever I have ever encountered. He has never been the typical “love me” golden. (I suspect he merely reflects the personality of his owner.)

His increasingly limited ability to get around creates two problems for him: 1) it hurts his legs, and 2) it hurts his pride. He continues to teach me a lot. Instead of getting too tied up in my own grief, I need to be more aware that he still has to add to my life.