Sunday, July 15, 2012

if you can combine it, you can sell it

If I ever need a good chortle, I can stop by almost any store here in Mexico.

I know there must be some sort of system (just as it took me time to learn the shelving logic in The States),  but I certainly don't understand how products are combined for sale.

At my neighborhood market, the Raid is stored with dish towels.  And the picnic supplies lie in repose next to the sanitary napkins.

So, I was primed for a laugh when my Puerto Vallarta passenger told me to get ready for a sign in one of the multitude of villages named Emiliano Zapata -- one of Mexico's Revolutionary heroes, and, need I add, who was treacherously assassinated by allies.

Just as we were coming to the border of the village, the sign at the top of this post popped up.

I can only imagine what MADD would have to say about a sign that advertises a shop that specializes in drinking and driving.  Or, at least, beer and gasoline.

But that is just spitting hairs.

23 comments:

Warshauer Michael said...

Back in Valley Springs, Arkansas (in the Ozarks) there was a café that also advertised sewing needles.

Saludos,Don Cuevas 

DonCuevas said...

I want to add that I have seen candy racks in the entry to a dentist's office. In another dentist'd office is a tacos al pastor setup.

Saludos, Don Cuevas 

Steve Cotton said...

What is it with the candy?  The doctor
I saw about my kidney has her office behind her pharmacy.  The cashier is behind a rack filled with more
candy than at most grocery stores.  On
the wall is a poster warning of the dangers of diabetes.

John Calypso said...

 "On the wall is a poster warning of the dangers of diabetes."

On every pack of cigarettes is a warning of the dangers - doesn't seem to deter millions of people.

Candy has to be a major food group in Mexico!

Felipe Zapata said...

Daddy was duped and killed by Carranza's henchmen. I do not think Daddy would have told you that Carranza was one of his allies.

Felipe Zapata said...

 Ah, Señor Cotton. You expect logic down here?

Steve Cotton said...

Sugar certainly is.  Fructose in food seems to be as common as in The States.

Steve Cotton said...

Not logic.  But I am certain there is some reason things end up where they do.

But it will probably go unexplained.  As the restocking during business hours while blocking both ends of the aisle will go unexplained.

Steve Cotton said...

You are correct.  At least, not when Carranza had him shot.  But they were allies in the overthrow of Huerta.  Of course, that all fell apart with victory.

Laurie Matherne said...

Just what men want, fuel and more fuel. 

Steve Cotton said...

 I think you may have found the system.

Taco_Lover said...

Do you have Taco Bells down there.  I love Taco Bell!

Steve Cotton said...

I have a little story about that.  I should tell it one day.

Taco_Lover said...

I am looking forward to it.

Shannon Casey said...

If you are looking for a humidifier in Liverpool, check the baby department.

Steve Cotton said...

I thought I may have.  But looking at the archives it appears it is a tale I have told only in person.

Steve Cotton said...

I can only imagine where I would look for a baby.

Taco_Lover said...

Please tell!

Daphne_Moon said...

I think that Dingo's got your baby!

Laurie Matherne said...

I recall a place in South Louisiana that advertised cappucino and crawfish. I can't imagine those smells together. 

Steve Cotton said...

A coming attraction.

NW said...

There was an article in the paper this past weekend titled, "Bibles and beer" about a church in a bar. Perhaps they could do church in that gas station and serve lunch too.

Steve Cotton said...

Funny you should mention that.  Yesterday in church we discussed seeking out those who are "thirsty."